The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: Senior Technical Advisor for HIV Prevention Technology Access
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: GS-14 equivalent
The U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is at the forefront of the U.S. Government’s (USG) goal of controlling the HIV epidemic. As a key partner in the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR), USAID works closely with other USG agencies on this multi-billion dollar initiative in developing countries around the world.
Located in the Bureau for Global Health (GH), the Office of HIV/AIDS (OHA) is the locus of HIV/AIDS technical leadership for the Agency and has primary responsibility for the Agency’s HIV/AIDS program. OHA provides strategic direction, technical leadership and support to field programs in HIV and AIDS to inform the strategic allocation of financial and human resources and assist in designing, implementing, monitoring and evaluating programs. This ensures the technical integrity of Agency and Mission strategies through leadership on a full range of issues related to HIV/AIDS.
Within OHA, the Research Division (RES) provides technical and programmatic expertise to help USAID and its Missions develop strategies and programs for research that respond to Agency and USG objectives and to budget priorities. RES staff and programs incorporate innovations, best practices, and lessons learned to advance the goals of each research program.
The Senior Technical Advisor for HIV Prevention Technology Access will serve in the Microbicide Branch of the Research Division (RES/MIC) and provide technical and management expertise to support the research, development, and introduction of microbicides – products that women (especially adolescent girls and young women) can use to protect themselves from HIV infection, and contribute to other aspects of biomedical research and implementation science across the portfolio of the Division. The USAID Microbicide Program has four strategic objectives: 1) expand product introduction research to increase access and acceptability of available products to women and markets, 2) sustain research for imminent and promising new products to provide women with a range of product options that fit their needs, 3) invest in key game changers to increase acceptability and effective use among women at highest risk, and 4) provide leadership for donor collaboration and strategic partnerships to ensure leveraged and synergistic use of funds across global health and expedite the impact of HIV prevention research and new products. Among USAID staff, a breadth of technical experience and expertise is needed to span from the earlier stages of product discovery through clinical trials, regulatory approval, introduction, and real impact in the countries where USAID and PEPFAR implement HIV prevention programs.
The Microbicide Branch Chief will be the USAID Point of Contact for the Senior Technical Advisor for HIV Prevention Technology Access, who will focus on later stage product development activities that bridge the interval between successful Phase III clinical trials and fully implemented product roll-out. As part of a team of technical and management professionals, this position will support USAID’s further development and implementation of HIV prevention technologies, especially anticipated new microbicides such as the dapivirine ring and innovative oral PrEP formulations in the near term, as well as vaccines and other novel approaches in the future. This will require working with others in OHA such as the Prevention, Care and Treatment Division and the Supply Chain for Health Division, as well as with other offices in the Bureau for Global Health. Significant engagement with USAID mission staff, partners in the field, and other target-country stakeholders in all sectors will be essential.
In this role, the Senior Technical Advisor for HIV Prevention Technology Access will provide expert technical advice, strategic guidance, and programmatic support in preparation for the introduction of microbicides and other new HIV prevention technologies, including, for example, support for regulatory approval, manufacturing scale-up, policy and guidance development, and private sector and/or other stakeholder engagement. The Technical Advisor for HIV Prevention Technology Access will be a key technical resource in GH/OHA regarding activities related to microbicides and other HIV prevention technologies, and will participate in defining program priorities and budgets, and serve as a liaison with other offices at USAID/Washington and USAID missions, as well as with national product regulatory authorities, relevant private sector parties, and other donors and agencies involved with microbicide and HIV prevention programs. This position will support and expedite the availability and accessibility of microbicides and other new biomedical technologies for HIV prevention that are approved by stringent regulatory authorities and authorized for use in USG programs.
Specific responsibilities of the Senior Technical Advisor may include but not be limited to the following:
- Serve as a key technical resource, providing recommendations and suggestions on program priorities and budgets
- Help design, implement, and analyze projects and activities, including technical assistance in developing new procurements, review of work plans and budgets, other project management responsibilities, and overall guidance on program strategy
- Provide technical assistance for the implementation of USAID-funded activities, including engagement with key stakeholders
- Provide USAID field Missions, PEPFAR country programs, host-country governments, and implementing partners with expert technical input to country-specific strategic planning
- Coordinate and collaborate with other USG agencies and partners, to support the prioritization and implementation of the USAID project portfolio
- Support and present USAID interests in meetings, conferences, and other communications with private and public sector partners, including but not limited to multilateral agencies
- Engage with private sector parties in strategic partnerships and other collaborations to advance USAID interests
- Coordinate with other donors to maximize the progress, cost efficiency, synergy and effectiveness of USAID activities.
- Coordinate and collaborate as needed with WHO, UNAIDS, and other normative bodies providing technical advice in the development of programmatic guidance documents
- Contribute to USAID technical leadership on coordinating committees and working groups organized by civil society, private sector, or multilateral agencies, or host country governments when relevant
- Serve on OHA and GH Research Committees, and Technical Working Groups
- Draft responses to Executive, Congressional, Agency, and public inquiries about USAID activities
- Assist with the preparation of regular and ad hoc reports requested by USAID, OGAC, Congress, and others
- Draft and provide technical documents and state-of-the-art presentations for colleagues both within and outside USAID
- Master’s degree and 9+ years’ relevant experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background in new product development, regulatory affairs, scale-up, and international health programs and development highly preferred.
- Experience in new health product regulatory approval and introduction, and preferably with HIV prevention technologies
- Demonstrated ability in project design, implementation, oversight, and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience across academic, public, and private sectors
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated experience and preference to be a collaborative team participant and leader
- Willingness and ability to travel internationally (up to 25%)
- Applicants selected will be subject to a background investigation and must obtain and maintain a favorable adjudication as applicable to their position/duties.
About the Organization
Social Solutions International, Inc. (Social Solutions) is a Hispanic and woman-owned business emphasizing quality research and evaluation, training and technical assistance, and institutional support services. We are a mission-driven organization that believes that superior science can improve the world. Social Solutions is dedicated to the creation of social and health solutions to improve the welfare of underserved populations worldwide.
Social Solutions offers competitive salaries and comprehensive benefits. Please submit your resume online at: https://jobs-socialsolutions.icims.com/jobs/1454/senior-technical-advisor-for-hiv-prevention-technology-access/job?mode=view
In order to fully evaluate your eligibility, your resume must include relevant paid and non-paid experience showing dates held with month and year and hours worked per week for each position.
Social Solutions is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, protected veteran status, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other characteristic protected by law.