SUSTAINING TECHNICAL AND ANALYTIC RESOURCES
FELLOWSHIP TITLE: Senior Technical Advisor for Laboratory Strengthening
HOST ORGANIZATION: National Center for TB and Leprosy Control, Ministry of Health
LOCATION: Phnom Penh, Cambodia
POSITION LEVEL: Senior Technical Advisor
TRAVEL: 40% estimated domestic travel
ABOUT THE FELLOWSHIP
The STAR Fellowship is a two-year global health and learning opportunity with:
· Individualized, tailored support to enhance the fellow’s achievement personal and professional goals
· Personalized learning plans and access to learning resources (courses, conferences, mentoring) based on fellow’s learning style and preferences.
· Access to broad professional networks to enhance peer learning and knowledge sharing.
FELLOWSHIP OPPORTUNITY DESCRIPTION
USAID is a leader in the global fight against tuberculosis (TB) and supports anti-TB efforts in high burden TB countries. Embedded advisors are a key component of the USAID Administrator’s TB Accelerator initiative that aims to reach the UN General Assembly TB Declaration targets as well as to build the capacity and commitment of the host governments to ensure TB self-reliance through evidence-based TB programs.
The Senior Technical Advisor for Laboratory Strengthening, (Senior Advisor) shall provide state-of-the-art technical expertise to support the National Tuberculosis Programs (NTP) to implement their National TB Strategic Plans (NSPs). The Senior Advisor will provide technical support and capacity building to the National TB Program to prepare for the expansion of molecular diagnosis, culture and drug susceptibility testing, implementation of connectivity and quality assurance.
The Senior Advisor will receive technical direction from the National Center for Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control (CENAT) Director and the CENAT Laboratory Manager will serve as the Point of Contact. The Senior Advisor and CENAT will coordinate and work in close collaboration with USAID/Cambodia and the USAID/Washington TB team to ensure alignment of the Senior Advisor tasks with NTP.
Essential Duties and Outcomes:
Strategic capacity building support and mentorship to NTP’s laboratory officers on culture and drug susceptibility testing:
· Ensure the optimal functionality and capacity building of existing TB culture and drug susceptibility testing (DST) at the three culture laboratories through mentorship; employment of quality improvement tools; and improved supervisory arrangements to increase the quality of clinical practice in culture and DST.
· Support revision of a the training curriculum of the National Reference Laboratory to reflect the recent published culture standard operating procedure (SOP).
· Work with the NTP to guide the process of finalizing the DST SOP based on existing evidence and lessons learned in other countries.
· Provide technical assistance to develop the guidance on the implementation and scale up of Xpert connectivity and training of laboratory technicians.
· Accompany NTP lab officers on field monitoring visits to build monitoring capacity.
Improved implementation of culture, DST, molecular testing, and connectivity:
· Support the NTP’s laboratory technician(s) at all levels in training and quality control activities.
· Work with NTP laboratory technicians to monitor the quality of culture and molecular testing at 3 laboratories and DST at the national reference laboratory.
· Build the capacity of NTP and its partners to implement connectivity at referral hospitals and monitor connectivity.
· Support NTP’s partners in piloting molecular testing at HC level (close to point of care testing) and document implementation.
· Review performance reports to identify solutions to challenges or bottlenecks in program implementation.
Improved coordination of TB laboratory activities nationwide:
· Support NTP to set up the technical working group (TWG) on laboratory services and assist the Laboratory Director to ensure the TWG is effective and meets consistently with strong participation of appropriate personnel.
· Provide regular updates on the progress of culture, DST, molecular testing, and connectivity to NTP and USAID, including developing and submitting a technical monthly progress report and bi-annual monitoring and evaluation report to NTP Director and Laboratory Manager and USAID/Cambodia.
· Identify needs for additional technical assistance and work with the NTP, USAID and other partners to fill these needs.
· Participate in regular conference calls with USAID as needed.
Anticipated learning outcomes: * approximate 10% time
· Cultivate mentorship skills based on the STAR GH mentorship curriculum to more effectively support and improve knowledge transfer and skills acquisition of staff, incoming fellows and interns.
· Advance leadership skills to successful support capacity building and knowledge sharing activities, and mentor develop junior staff.
· Apply leadership skills and technical expertise to support programmatic growth and scale up within TB laboratory services in Cambodia.
· Doctor of Medicine (MD) or PhD or Masters, with extensive experience in microbiology or hold an advanced degree in microbiology or laboratory sciences.
· Minimum 13 years of relevant technical experience with master’s degree or a minimum of 15 years of relevant technical experience with bachelor’s degree.
· Minimum 7 to 10 years of relevant technical experience with ability to review, analyze, and advise on all areas of TB culture, DST, molecular testing and Xpert connectivity at the national and sub-national level.
· Up-to-date knowledge of WHO and national policies on culture, DST, molecular testing, and connectivity.
· Up-to-date knowledge of ongoing and emerging issues in laboratory services and functioning in Cambodia.
· Experience in teaching/training and capacity building.
· Experience working with the key stakeholders in TB program, preferably the national stakeholders and international donors.
· Fluent in English and Khmer with ability to actively participate in meetings in English.
· Cambodian citizenship required.
All applicants are required to apply for this position through STAR’s online recruitment system at https://www.ghstar.org/, which allows you to store your CV/resume and separate cover letter describing your qualifications and experience, interest and familiarity with issues relating to this position, and how this position relates to your career goals is required for each application. Position will remain open until filled.