Jhpiego is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor for Pre Exposure Prophylaxis (PrEP) to provide technical leadership and project oversight in the area of HIV biomedical prevention, specifically oral pre-exposure prophylaxis, for an upcoming USAID HIV biomedical prevention strategy project in Zimbabwe. This integrated project will focus on HIV biomedical prevention strategies, including voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC), PrEP, condoms, key populations (KP), and evidence generation /data. The project will operate over a four-year period.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Chief of Party and the senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of service delivery strategies based on scientific evidence
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Zimbabwean nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities
Establish and implement a system to ensure technical quality of project activities
Lead the design of screening, initiation, and management strategies for PrEP, including adherence and retention
Lead the design of outreach interventions, including those that consider gender inequalities, stigma and discrimination of key populations, and economic barriers
Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, curricula, and supervisory systems needed for implementation of the Project to meet the needs of USAID and the Government of Zimbabwe
Manage the development of PrEP training programs, as appropriate, including the development of behavioral objectives, modes of instructional methodologies, selection of audiovisual materials, and tools for monitoring and evaluation
Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
1. Promoting and supporting couples counseling;
2. Expanding community-based HIV testing services (HTS), including strategies for promoting access for populations at elevated risk of HIV exposure
3. PrEP demand generation, service provision, and quality management;
4. Monitoring and evaluation considerations for PrEP programs
- Ensure sufficient health care providers are trained in order to rapidly scale up quality PrEP services and sensitized to supporting KPs with respectful and useful services
- Oversee the planning and roll out PrEP-related trainings to biomedical providers and community-based healthcare providers
- Ensure implementation of community-based PrEP adheres to the approved protocols
- Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service and/or pre-service education, and supportive supervision
- Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
- Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
- Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify facility and community-based service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services
- Identify and implement appropriate facility- and community-based strategies to address PrEP service delivery gaps
- Work closely with the Chief of Party on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
- Work with M&E staff to design, implement a plan to track data/results related to PrEP to inform adjustments in project implementation
- Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the Ministry of Health and other US and international implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations
- Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
- Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for PrEP
- Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
- Supervise technical staff
- Maintain excellent relationships with USAID and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses
- Provide technical leadership to the development the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USAID, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- A medical doctor or nurse with an advanced degree, Master of Public Health preferred
- At least 7 years’ experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in HIV biomedical prevention and/or KP programs, including at least 5 year specifically working in PrEP
- At least 7 years’ experience in implementing and/or providing technical assistance of $5M per year in donor-funded projects and in the design and implementation of overseas health projects; preferably in the Zimbabwe
- Demonstrated experience training clinical and community-based healthcare workers on HIV biomedical prevention, including PrEP
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; pre-service education; performance and quality improvement; monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in PrEP necessary for strengthening PrEP service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community-level
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Zimbabwe healthcare system, particularly the public health system, experience living and working in Zimbabwe preferred
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer