Jhpiego is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor for Voluntary Medical Male Circumcision (VMMC) to provide technical leadership and project oversight in the area of HIV biomedical prevention, specifically VMMC, for an upcoming USAID HIV biomedical prevention strategy project in Zimbabwe. This integrated project will focus on HIV biomedical prevention strategies, including voluntary medical male circumcision, pre-exposure prophylaxis (PrEP), condoms, key populations (KP), and evidence generation /data. The project will operate over a four-year period.
The position will operate under the leadership of the Chief of Party and the senior management team, and will oversee and ensure the technical and methodological soundness of all project activities. In collaboration with project team and partners, the position will support the design and implementation of service delivery strategies based on scientific evidence
This position is contingent upon award from USAID. Zimbabwean nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
Provide technical oversight, strategic direction and definition of appropriate project activities
Ensure that project is technically sound, evidence-based and responsive to the needs of
Lead the design of demand creation, service delivery, monitoring and reporting, and quality management for VMMC implementation under this project
Develop and maintain strong working relationships with USG, the Ministry of Health and Child Care (MOHCC), as well as USG implementing partners, private sector partners and other key stakeholders in Zimbabwe to maximize resources and avoid duplication of effort
Develop and/or update evidence-based training materials, standards, job aids, and curricula, supervisory systems needed for implementation of the Project to meet the needs of USAID and the Government of Zimbabwe
Provide mentoring and capacity building at the individual and organizational level in specific areas of expertise including but not limited to:
1. Current VMMC science and technical/quality standards
2. VMMC demand generation strategies
3. Mixed fixed, outreach, and mobile service delivery models to maximize efficiency, access, and quality of client service
4. Data availability and data use for streamlined program improvement
Ensure sufficient health care providers are trained in order to rapidly scale up quality VMMC services
Implement innovative approaches to recruit and retain MC providers
Develop and Implement a quality assurance system that ensures that MC services provided under this project meet internationally recognized standards of quality
Manage the development of VMMC training programs, as appropriate, including the development of behavioral objectives, modes of instructional methodologies, selection of audiovisual materials, and tools for monitoring and evaluation
Provide technical assistance for conducting site assessments and strengthening referral systems, in-service and/or pre-service education, and supportive supervision
Coordinate advocacy, demand generation, and policy support, across project sites as required
Actively participate in relevant technical advisory/working groups and professional forums representing Jhpiego
Work with health care providers, local authorities, community members and project team members to identify service delivery issues that impede access to care and uptake of services
Work closely with the Chief of Party on setting project priorities and directions, and responding to requests for support from local counterparts
Work with M&E staff to design and implement a plan to track data/results related to VMMC to inform adjustments in project implementation
Collaborate with all local stakeholders and implementing partners, especially the MOHCC and other US and international implementing partners, to ensure that all activities conform to the requirements and regulations
Document successes, lessons learned and challenges in implementation as well as reports of project activities and results to the project and donor, including routine quarterly and annual reports and other reporting requirements as requested
Document and maintain an inventory of successful tools and approaches for VMMC
Author/co-author abstracts, presentations, and articles for journals and conferences
Supervise technical staff
Maintain excellent relationships with USAID and in-country stakeholders and develop rapid responses
Provide technical leadership to the development the project strategic plan, work plan, and project monitoring, in close collaboration with MOH, USAID, and other stakeholders to ensure timely implementation and compliance to the requirements and regulations of the award
- Advanced degree in public health, health administration, international health or a related field; MD preferred
- At least 7 years’ experience implementing and/or providing technical assistance in HIV biomedical prevention, including at least 5 years working specifically in VMMC
- At least 7 years’ experience in implementing and/or providing technical assistance of $5M per year in donor-funded projects and in the design and implementation of overseas health projects; preferably in the Zimbabwe
- Demonstrated experience training healthcare workers on HIV biomedical prevention, including VMMC
- Demonstrated experience providing capacity building assistance at individual and organizational levels
- Skilled in at least two or more of the following technical areas: strengthening service delivery projects; training; pre-service education; performance and quality improvement; monitoring and evaluation
- Demonstrated experience with a mix of practical technical skills in VMMC necessary for strengthening VMMC service delivery at the regional, national, clinical and community-level
- Demonstrated in-depth understanding of Zimbabwe healthcare system, particularly the public health system, experience living and working in Zimbabwe preferred
- Familiarity with USAID’s administrative, management and reporting procedures and systems
- Proven track record managing a project team composed of several technical experts and fostering team work
- Excellent diplomacy skills and a proven ability to establish and maintain interpersonal and professional relationships with USAID, host-country counterparts and representatives from other key stakeholders such as NGOs, CSOs, and the private sector
- Expertise in research to practice—identifying and adapting best practices to specific project contexts
- Excellent verbal, written interpersonal and presentation skills in English
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Ability to travel nationally to project sites
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer