At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2015, CARE worked in 95 countries and reached 65 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
We believe gender equality is fundamental in achieving rights and dignity for all, including people living with HIV and their families and loved ones. Women and girls tend to be more vulnerable to the structural issues that increase their risk of acquiring HIV, including violence against women, child marriage, educational and employment disparities and commercial sex work. Poorer women in most societies, especially those living with HIV, face combined burdens from discriminatory practices and policies in obtaining education and employment, in accessing livelihoods, assets and information and basic civil participation. CARE is committed to supporting the empowerment of poor women and girls and addressing gender barriers where they live, work and raise families.
CARE is seeking a Senior Technical Advisor (STA) who will be the primary HIV technical proposal development expert on the team. The STA will support HIV proposal efforts primarily for Presidents’ Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) funding opportunities as well as other institutional or individual donors.
The STA will provide leadership, coordination, and support in engaging in the overall business development process in these key areas:
- Build relationships, liaise and network with CARE’s major donors.
- Support to country office and other teams in HIV program design and strategy development
- Oversee HIV proposal development and execution for USG and other donors including go/ no-go decisions
- Support for building the capacity of fundraising teams to understand key aspects of HIV relevant for new program design, proposals, and materials designed for donors.
As stated in the qualifications below, this position requires outstanding writing skills, in-depth knowledge and expertise in HIV/AIDS approaches and results, excellent communication and presentation skills; and experience in proposal development for both large and small donors, including demonstrated success in contributing to winning proposals. Also required are exceptional skills working cross-culturally to support program design, documentation, and proposal development in development and humanitarian contexts.
- Play the role of the primary technical proposal development expert on the team
- Build relationships with USG HIV/AIDS experts and liaise with Presidents’ Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) stakeholders and other donors
- Work with internal and external partners, including fundraisers, to gather intelligence, prioritize and plan bids for potential donors to support CARE’s HIV approach
- Collaborate and network with Competitive Bids Unit, Foundations, SPA and other parts of the organization to gather intelligence and to identify opportunities for influencing, collaboration and resource mobilization.
- Provide support to CARE and country offices in program design and strategy development
- Develop CARE’s approach to HIV and PEPFAR programming and design and implement a plan to execute on it
- Perform other duties as required
- Master’s degree in public health, international development, or related field
- 10 years of experience in relevant fields, and at least 2 years of new business development experience
- In-depth knowledge of HIV/AIDS interventions, research, and practice in development
- Excellent skills in HIV program design, proposal development, and execution
- Knowledge and experience with PEPFAR-related proposal development processes and knowledge of PEPFAR policies and strategies
- Demonstrated experience and successful track record in leading development of proposals for large and small donors
- Outstanding organizational, writing and communication skills
- Strong skills in planning, partnership, and collaboration
- Proficiency in Word, Excel, PowerPoint
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.