Jhpiego is an international non-profit health organization affiliated with the Johns Hopkins University. For over 45 years, Jhpiego has empowered frontline health workers by designing and implementing effective, low-cost solutions to strengthen the delivery of health care services for women and their families. The Senior Technical Advisor for Marketing will provide technical and program oversight and direction in marketing of/for HIV, infectious diseases, and malaria programming, and will be available to provide strategic guidance to colleagues working in reproductive and maternal health in low and middle-income settings.
Jhpiego is engaged in policy- and implementation-level programming for a wide array of HIV, infectious diseases, and malaria interventions. To maximize the effectiveness and efficiency of programs, high demand for and utilization of services among priority populations is paramount. Underutilization of service programs by intended recipients undermines the population level health benefits of proven interventions and wastes the financial and human resources dedicated to those interventions. To ensure the highest possible utilization of services and to comply with program objectives, Jhpiego requires the support of a marketing specialist with expertise in all aspects of demand creation, from planning to execution and ongoing oversight. Responsibilities include providing leadership and technical guidance in the development and implementation of all aspects program marketing and demand creation under the leadership of the Senior Technical Director of HIV, Infectious Diseases, and Malaria, and utilizing and contributing to novel approaches to demand creation, such as market research for priority population segmentation. The applicant must be able to:
- Catalyze and synthesize research insights so they can be impactful and programs can be more efficient;
- Lead the design and oversee the execution of robust, insight-based Marketing plans in programs;
- Increase relevance of health interventions to target audiences;
- strengthen the capacity of the team on marketing and support them when necessary; and,
- Represent marketing needs in new program development and at a strategic level in Jhpiego
Jhpiego seeks a highly motivated and dynamic individual to fill the position of Senior Technical Advisor III, Marketing. The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical leadership and a strategic vision for demand creation and marketing within the HIV-Malaria-ID division and help ensure technical excellence across Jhpiego’s entire portfolio of projects. The Senior Technical Advisor will provide technical direction to country programs and ensure quality TA is provided to achieve maximum impact. S[he] will provide leadership and mentoring for capacity building in the technical area and lead the development and implementation of selected activities. The Senior Technical Advisor will represent Jhpiego externally to build Jhpiego’s reputation as a technical leader in marketing and demand creation and to foster new relationships and develop new programs.
- Support country-level teams in the development of marketing/demand creation strategies and annual activity plans related to both products and services, assuring alignment with Jhpiego strategy, donor commitments, and market conditions
- Support country programs to evolve their demand creation strategies and drive evidenced based innovation for replication across Jhpiego by providing technical support for program design and implementation
- Coordinate with other technical areas, disciplines and departments to assure appropriate marketing technical support and alignment is embedded in program and proposal development and in existing programs to ensure marketing supports program objectives
- Help guiding programmatic revisions as needed, and contribute to the evaluation of results
- Promote the appropriate and effective use of social and behavior change methodologies and research techniques to build demand creation programs and support countries on the execution of marketing/demand creation strategies
- Identify and support opportunities for departmental efficiencies particularly related to product user insight, demand creation and marketing
- Be an active participant and contributor to Jhpiego demand creation initiatives and strategic planning
- Work with country/regional teams to improve existing demand creation talent where it exists and manage relevant subawardees and subcontractors as required
- Support research activities where appropriate and review study designs as needed
- Provide strategic advice on demand creation budgeting and staffing decisions to country representatives to ensure country teams can deliver demand creation elements of programs
- Assist with piloting and expanding use of innovations as required, and the development of evidence-based materials needed for implementation
- Understand the donor landscape and how to interact effectively with them and meet their needs
- Support country research with dissemination of learnings internally and externally including representing Jhpiego in professional circles through meetings, conferences and presentations;
- Research, identify and disseminate best practices and new technical strategies and approaches in areas of expertise.
- Participate in development of the vision and strategy for the technical unit, provide leadership for the development of unit workplans and strategies and manage and lead priority activities and initiatives.
- Provide quality technical assistance to country programs by providing technical direction, participating in joint work planning activities with program staff, leading implementation of relevant activities, contributing to the development of reports and reviewing program data, progress and results to inform decisions and action, and by supporting the integration and implementation of key technical interventions and activities into country programs.
- Help ensure coordinated and quality provision of technical assistance to country programs, including drawing upon global data and trends to identify strategic opportunities, identifying needed shifts in technical approaches and implementation and by identifying opportunities to fill critical knowledge gaps. Identify technical assistance support needs for country programs and ensure program priorities and needs are met through the provision of technical assistance.
- Provide leadership for ensuring quality assurance for technical unit by participating in the development of standards for technical interventions and routinely utilizing program data to identify program and country quality issues and trends and recommend strategies to resolve them.
- Provide leadership for capacity building, coaching and mentoring of staff and local partners including developing and implementing annual training plans, learning activities and materials to support capacity building. Contribute to staff orientation and technical updates to ensure staff possess excellent knowledge of technical area and approaches.
- Help develop and maintain excellent professional relationships with colleagues, counterparts, and donors worldwide to maximize Jhpiego impact. Develop new business opportunities, serve as the technical design lead and review proposals to ensure high-quality technical approaches are reflected.
- Represent Jhpiego to partners, donors and other counterparts. Ensure global leadership in marketing and demand creation by serving on external advisory or working groups, representing Jhpiego in key global and regional technical meetings and committees, participating in the production of global guidance and reference documents, participating external advisory or working groups and leading the development of peer-reviewed publications for the unit.
- Provide leadership for knowledge management (KM) in marketing and demand creation by helping to identify KM priorities and a marketing and demand creation learning agenda for the HMI division. Ensure that state of the art knowledge, lessons learned and best practices are shared with staff globally, and that learnings are published and disseminated widely in appropriate repositories and channels, including peer reviewed conferences and journals.
- Contribute to the knowledge base, communication priorities and materials development by participating in or leading the development, writing and editing of content for products, presentations and other materials. Ensure communication and documentation priorities are met by helping to identify and document programmatic successes, challenges and lessons learned.
- Collaborate with program staff to modify program budgets based on work plans updates, monitor and be responsible for effective spending for assigned activities and deliverables and monitor level of effort for supervisees (as applicable) to ensure appropriate and equitable distribution of technical assistance
- Demonstrated ability to liaise with senior leadership within Ministries of Health and NGOs, the for-profit business community, and senior members of the donor community around health marketing
- Master’s degree in public health or marketing
- At least 20 years’ experience in senior marketing roles
- Experience with introduction and marketing of HIV prevention products and services such as voluntary medical male circumcision (VMMC), oral pre-exposure prophylaxis
- Demonstrated ability to deliver quality marketing in resource limited settings
- Knowledge of HIV prevention, care and treatment programs in East and Southern Africa
- Proven ability to translate complex research insights into programmatic initiatives
- Proven ability to drive innovation that supports programmatic objectives
- Experience training personnel involved in public health demand creation activities, including peer educators, health care workers and facility leadership on intervention messaging and marketing, as well as monitoring and evaluation of performance
- Extensive experience working in the East and Southern Africa region
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Ability to communicate in Portuguese, Kiswahili, French and/or Spanish an advantage
About the Organization
Jhpiego is an international, nonprofit health organization affiliated with The Johns Hopkins University. For more than 42 years and in over 155 countries, Jhpiego has worked to prevent the needless deaths of women and their families.
Jhpiego works with health experts, governments and community leaders to ensure high-quality health care for their people. Jhpiego develops strategies to help countries care for themselves by training competent health care workers, strengthening health systems and improving delivery of care.
Jhpiego designs innovative, effective and low-cost health care solutions to ensure a level of care for women and their families. These practical, evidence-based interventions are breaking down barriers to high-quality health care for the world’s most vulnerable populations.
Jhpiego offers competitive salaries and a comprehensive employee benefits package.
Please apply at: www.jobs-jhpeigo.icims.com
Applicants must submit a single document for upload to include: cover letter, resume, references, and salary history.
For further information about Jhpiego, visit our website at www.jhpiego.org
Note: The successful candidate selected for this position will be subject to a pre-employment background investigation.
JHU is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer