We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of Senior Technical Advisor in Liberia for the USAID-funded project, Linkages across the Continuum of HIV Services for Key Populations Affected by HIV (LINKAGES), under the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR) program in Liberia. LINKAGES is implemented by FHI 360 in partnership with Pact, IntraHealth International and the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and conducts a range of activities to reduce HIV transmission among key populations (KP) — sex workers (SW), men who have sex with men (MSM), transgender persons (TG persons) and people who inject drugs (PWID) — and improve their enrollment and retention in care and treatment across the HIV cascade. LINKAGES will accelerate the ability of governments, key population leaders, organizations working with key populations, and private-sector providers to plan and implement services that reduce HIV transmission among key populations and their sexual partners and extend the lives of those already living with HIV. The key elements of LINKAGES strategic and technical approaches are:
- Identifying key populations and locales and comprehensively assessing risk,
- Diagnosing “leaks” and revealing access barriers within the HIV services cascade,
- Scaling up “what works” while innovating to ensure the most strategic use of resources and access to newly emerging technologies,
- Addressing structural barriers and transforming local KP organizations,
- Ensuring interventions are sustainable over the long term, and
- Supporting the mainstreaming of human rights, gender and competency and capacity development.
FHI 360 is seeking applications for the position of Senior Technical Advisor for the LINKAGES Liberia project. The project will focus on reducing risk of HIV transmission among key populations (FSWs, MSM, and TG persons) and improving their enrollment and retention in care and treatment across the HIV cascade. This project will accelerate the ability of the government of Liberia, key population leaders, organizations working with key populations, and private-sector providers to plan and implement services that reduce HIV transmission among key populations and their sexual partners and extend the lives of those already living with HIV.
The LINKAGES Liberia Senior Technical Advisor will lead the technical strategy and capacity building for the design, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of the HIV program in Montserrado County focused on MSM, FSWs, and TG persons. S/he will provide technical assistance for HIV care, treatment and support for key populations across the cascade by ensuring innovative, evidence-based programming and develop approaches to address the positive health dignity and prevention of key populations living with HIV. This position is critical for the development of quality and evidence-based approaches to support FSWs, MSM and TG persons to be reached and linked to a variety of services along the HIV prevention, treatment, care and support cascade (identify, reach with prevention services and commodities, link to HIV and STI testing and counselling, wrap-around services referrals, peer outreach and navigation activities for improved linkages, retention and adherence to ART).
The position will be based in Monrovia, Liberia. Liberian nationals and candidates currently based in the region are encouraged to apply.
Suitably qualified candidates openly living with HIV and/or who are representative of the key populations affected by HIV are also actively encouraged to apply.
- Support the design, integration, and implementation of HIV/AIDS interventions, ranging from outreach activities to treatment retention strategies, based on local KP needs, implementing partner capacities, and knowledge of evidence-based methods.
- Ensure that appropriate technical interventions and strategies are incorporated into work plans and reports.
- Maintain a constructive dialogue and technical exchange with field counterparts and technical staff of implementing partners.
- Adapt tools for the design and implementation of technical strategies based on local norms and practices.
- Support the development of timely and accurate reports for LINKAGES HQ, USAID, the Liberian government, and other stakeholders as needed.
- Review, analyze, and evaluate the effectiveness of technical interventions and make recommendations for enhancements on an ongoing basis.
- Conduct capacity building activities for governmental institutions and local partners, including civil society, faith-based, and community-based organizations, to support the implementation of high-quality HIV/AIDS prevention and management interventions at both the health facility and community-based level
- Keep abreast of developments in larger HIV/AIDS and KP field; document project methodologies, results, and outcomes, and in collaboration with LINKAGES HQ develop abstracts and publications.
- Contribute to the achievement of high quality results in accordance with the targets identified in the work plan.
- Demonstrated ability to be the senior subject matter expert on HIV/AIDS prevention, management, and control strategies.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Liberian health systems as well as international and local NGOs involved in the national response to HIV/AIDS.
- Proven experience and/or knowledge of the PEPFAR Blueprint for key population programs and WHO and UNAIDS goals and strategies related to the 90–90–90 targets and the cascade for HIV prevention, diagnosis, care and treatment.
- Demonstrated experience supporting local organizations in the implementation of public health and/or HIV programs in resource-challenged settings.Demonstrated knowledge of Liberia’s National AIDS Control Program (NACP) and current initiatives of the National AIDS Commission
- Ability to exchange information, present recommendations and collaborate with colleagues and peers within the LINKAGES project and possibly externally.
- Understand the situational needs of key populations and have worked to support and implement activities to reduce violence, stigma and discrimination.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the political and ethical issues surrounding public health issues among key populations in Liberia.
- Ability to meet deadlines with strong attention to consistency, detail, and quality.
- Ability to travel within country or region and internationally as needed.
- Minimum of a Master’s degree in Public Health, Health Administration, Management Social Work, or Business Administration with a focus on public health, social sciences, or related field. A Master’s degree is preferred; OR a Bachelor’s degree in a similar field to those mentioned above and a minimum of 10 years of professional work experience in the field of Public Health and HIV.
- At least 8 years of progressively responsible work experience in technically designing and managing programs related to key populations and HIV.
- At least 5 years of experience in management of a USAID or PEPFAR-funded activity, including program planning, implementation, data use, monitoring and reporting.
- Demonstrated written, presentation, communication and organizational skills in English.
- Previous experience in Liberia is strongly preferred
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor