As a member of the MTaPS monitoring, evaluation, research, and learning (MERL) team, the Senior Technical Advisor, M&E will provide technical support and guidance in the MTaPS program at headquarters and country levels for planning and implementing M&E activities. This includes supporting country programs to establish and implement their M&E plans, periodically updating the plans, data management and analytics approaches and support the completion of M&E deliverables. S/he will undertake periodic reviews of country program M&E systems and support the planning and implementation of M&E system strengthening actions including capacity building for staff. S/he will also be responsible for establishing systems for ensuring data quality and accuracy. S/he will provide support for collecting, analyzing, reporting, and using data for monitoring progress towards established targets and facilitating the use of data to guide the design of evidence-based programs. S/he will also participate in planning and implementing research studies, assessments and other implementation science activities.
This position will be located in Arlington, VA and reports to the MERL Director, MTaPS
- Provide technical support and guidance for the development of monitoring and evaluation systems and support the learning and research agenda for MTaPS field projects, ensuring that these adhere to the appropriate global standards and guidelines
- Provide technical support and guidance for the design, development, planning, implementation; and capacity building for staff in analysis, visualization, dissemination, and use of data for performance improvement
- Manage and support the development, periodic revision, and implementation of MTaPS M&E Framework, Plan and data management and analytics platform
- Provide technical support and guidance to project teams and country offices to ensure that programs are well designed and implemented based on the best available evidence
- Work with technical staff to identify, prioritize and address M&E needs of the MTaPS program
- Lead the development and ensure the use of standardized M&E tools, standard operating procedures (SOPs) and guidelines across MTaPS countries
- Establish standards for data collection and reporting and ensure that these standards are always implemented
- Work with DevResults team to program stringent data quality checks into the data management and analytics platform, and ensure efficient functioning of the platform
- Collaborate with the knowledge management and learning team to support effective and compliant reporting of results and lessons learned and dissemination of programmatic impacts and knowledge products.
- Build capacity and support HQ, regional, and country program M&E staff to develop and implement M&E systems in line with donor requirements and best practices through formal training and ongoing mentoring
- Support the analysis and use of data from routine information systems and special surveys to influence the design and scope of the program, including ensuring that data are appropriately displayed in dashboards using various graphics and geo-spatial displays.
- Conduct data analyses and lead the preparation of routine MEL reports
- Regularly update MTaPS guidance and routinely monitor the collection and submission of data to the Development Data Library to assure compliance with USAID guidance
- Strengthen the capacity of country, HQ and partner staff on M&E through training and ensuring the use of standardized guidelines and tools
- Provide direction and supervision to HQ and country staff as needed
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent – Public Health, Supply Chain Management and Logistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development or Related Field. Education and/or experience in Pharmaceutical sciences is an asset.
- 8-11 years of experience in education, health, behavioral, or social sciences or related field
- 5+ years experience doing M&E in large scale donor programs
- Experienced with implementing USAID’s M&E requirements
- Sound expertise in M&E, especially for large scale USAID projects in multiple countries with a health system strengthening component. Demonstrated experience in areas related to pharmaceutical management highly preferred.
- Experience with supporting the M&E activities programs implemented in developing countries
- Strong background with developing and using different kinds of M&E databases, knowledge of DevResults preferred
- Extensive experience in the use of mixed measurement methods required for monitoring and evaluation of public health programs with a health system strengthening component.
- Strong experience in using statistical software packages such as EpiInfo, SAS, SPSS, or Stata for data analysis and modeling.
- Strong expertise in visualization
- Experience with conducting system-level troubleshooting and data verification
- Experience with developing and implementing data quality assurance procedures
- Strong background in M&E capacity building
- Developing and implementing strategies for strengthening the capacity of staff, partners and government employees in data use
- Excellent management, interpersonal, team and problem-solving skills
- Experience with supervising data managers
- Strong scientific and technical writing skills.
- Must be able to accomplish assignments/tasks with little or no supervision
- Demonstrated ability to work with diverse teams in developing country locations and to produce results within specific timeframes while meeting deadlines. Strong interpersonal and teamwork skills. Proven successful experience working in a headquarter environment.
- Highly developed English-language writing and presentation skills.
Problem Solving & Impact:
Is sought out to provide advice or solutions in area of technical area
Is informed about current developments in area of technical area.
Works under broad direction with considerable latitude for independent action.
Specific actions are guided primarily by professional standards and expected outcomes of the program/project.
Decisions and actions have an impact on the smooth operation and timeframes of the unit programs/projects; impact on the broader organization is generally indirect.
Problems encountered are complex and may involve unprecedented circumstances; resolution requires investigation, analysis and review of professional/organizational standards.
Faulty decisions or recommendations will normally result in critical delays and modifications to projects or operations, cause substantial expenditure of additional time, resources, and funds; and jeopardize future business activity.
May supervise junior level staff members.
Work is reviewed in terms of meeting the organization’s objectives and schedules.
Accomplishes results through managers or senior members of team.
Manages a technical area staff and function area within the organization.
Plays a coaching and mentoring role for others; may assist in team management as necessary, although has no formal people management responsibility.
Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent – Public Health, Supply Chain Management and Logistics, Statistics, Epidemiology, Social Sciences, International Development, Human Development or Related Field. Education and/or experience in Pharmaceutical sciences is an asset.
Typically requires 8-11 years of experience in education, health, behavioral, or social sciences or related field.
Knowledge and experience in specific technical area.
Informed of current program developments in division/unit/technical area.
Years of work experience that demonstrates sensitivity to and understanding of technical issues.
Ability to manage projects, set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
Experience in specialized technical/medical field of study.
Typical Physical Demands:
Typical office environment.
Ability to sit and stand for extended periods of time.
Ability to lift 5-50 lbs.
Technology to be Used:
Personal Computer, Microsoft Office (i.e. Word, Excel, PowerPoint, etc.), e-mail, telephone, printer, calculator, copier, cell phones, PDAs and other hand held devices.
This job posting summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, physical or mental disability, protected Veteran status, or any other characteristic protected under applicable law.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support a healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Technical Advisor