CARE is a leading humanitarian organization dedicated to fighting poverty and social injustice with a special emphasis on human rights, gender equality and women and girls. Working within CARE USA’s Food and Nutrition Security Team, the Senior Technical Advisor Market Systems and Livelihoods will be primarily responsible for providing high quality design, implementation and technical assistance to the Food Security Teams Programming that is largely engaged in USAID/Food for Peace funded Development Food Security Activity (DFSA) programs. Reporting to the Director Agriculture and Markets systems team the STA Markets and Livelihoods will support proposal identify, track and follow-up USAID Food for Peace programming and also support other programing within the Food and Nutrition Security team.
Job description: Food for Peace Development Food Security Activities (DFSA) focus on increasing food security, reducing malnutrition and building resilience for chronically poor and vulnerable households. While many of these households struggle to produce enough food and earn enough income to meet their own needs throughout the year, DFSA programs aim to assist such households to find a sustainable pathway toward food security that may focus on on-farm, off-farm or non-farm livelihoods. In the meantime, DFSA programs aim to improve nutrition, health and hygiene, increase access to safe potable water as well as water for agriculture and livestock, and build the capacity of households, communities and systems to absorb, adapt to and transform shocks and stressors. These very large multi-sectoral programs are complex in nature and often include significant safety-net components. Their approaches are integrated, sequenced and layered with in their theories of change and entail significant internal coordination, coordination with external programs, and emergency response via crisis modifiers. At the same time, the donor expects that at the end of a five year program, significant progress will have been made toward building sustainability in improved livelihoods. This will entail improvements in sustainable capacities, sustainable motivation/demand, sustainable resources, and to the extent feasible, sustainable links to market or governance systems. Understanding that empowering women and engaging youth are key to resilience and sustainable food and nutrition security, DFSA programs prioritize gender equity and empowerment of these target groups. The STA Markets and Livelihoods will play a key role in designing livelihoods approaches as part of DFSA programs and then will advise, support and engage actively with programs to ensure that they achieve targeted livelihood outcomes.
- Technical Assistance to Program Implementation for DFSAs
- Resource mobilization for DFSAs and other FNS initiatives
- Knowledge Management and Learning
- Innovation and New Business Development
- Other Responsibilities as assigned
- Masters degree or PHD in a relevant field
- Sound knowledge of research processes, applications and tools
- Advanced skills in Microsoft Word and Excel
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in French
- Ability to write basic correspondence and capacity statements
- Ability to analyze and synthesize large amounts of information/data
- Adequate oral and written communication skills
- Experience in budgeting and expenditure monitoring
- Ability to work independently and at a fast pace
- 10+ years in Market Systems and livelihood program design and implementation, including experience in the field
- Proven experience and track-record in supporting large Multiyear Food security programs globally, particularly Food for Peace programs
- Experience supporting programs that enable vulnerable households to improve their resilience and/or sustainably graduate out of poverty and food insecurity
- Experience in market systems programming in an emerging economy context
- Experience working with a wide-range of stakeholders to develop common agendas and action
- Experience developing and applying organizational learning strategies into program design and implementation
- Experience providing quality technical leadership and guidance to program implementation in an international and decentralized organization setting
- Experience working with USAID, and other large donors, and representation with donors and external stakeholders and in fundraising
- Substantial technical knowledge and field experience in the areas of market systems development, economic development, food security and women’s empowerment / gender equity
- Experience building collaboration across and working with multi-sectoral and multi-cultural teams to drive results
- Excellent partnership brokering, coordination and facilitation experience
- Highly responsive and flexible
- Excellent writing and verbal communication skills in English
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.