Devex is assisting a nonprofit organization dedicated to working with developing countries to improve their public health capabilities, in their search for Senior Technical Advisor of Measurement and Learning.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Technical Advisor of Measurement & Learning is responsible providing a high level of technical support for the development, implementation, and evaluation of the organization’s activities. The STA will also support projects to achieve their learning agendas. The STA will also conduct training and mentoring of country office, project staff, and local partners in the department. Our work covers a variety of domains, including sexual and reproductive health; maternal, neonatal, and child health; nutrition; HIV/AIDS prevention, care, and treatment, including HIV-affected children; integrated service delivery; malaria prevention and treatment; digital health, health systems strengthening; social service workforce; and human resources for health. The incumbent is required to be fully proficient in French in a professional setting. The incumbent will be able to provide a superior level of oversight on results reporting and assist with the development of tools, guidelines, reference materials, and data collection instruments, as well as support country teams to set and monitor Learning Plans on an annual basis and achieve their objectives. The incumbent will be able to prioritize multiple deadlines and have the written and oral communication skills to work with internal and external partners. S/he will need to be able to motivate and track team efforts, while simultaneously working on independent projects, producing above average results. S/he will also have the skills necessary to lead writing results, technical briefs, abstracts, manuscripts, and sections of proposals. The Senior Technical Advisor reports to the Director of Measurement & Learning.
- Provide M&L training and mentoring for country office, project staff, and local partners
- Provide technical support to country and projects teams for the development and implementation of monitoring and evaluation systems
- Support country teams to set and monitor Learning Plans on an annual basis and achieve their objectives
- Provide ongoing assistance with and oversight of results reporting
- Provide technical support for assessments and research (develop study design and methodology, including sampling procedures, and assist with implementation, analysis and write-up)
- Assist with development of tools, guidelines, and reference materials.
- Develop data collection instruments (mainly survey instruments and qualitative interview guides, with appropriate procedures for pilot testing, including assessing reliability and validity of measures.
- Analyze quantitative and qualitative data.
- Contribute to the dissemination and utilization of project results to inform project decision-making and share lessons learned with a global audience.
- Lead and assist in writing M&L results, in abstracts, technical briefs, peer-reviewed journal publications, and others.
- Participate in proposal development by writing M&L sections (including performance monitoring plans with indicators) for project proposals.
- Manage other tasks, as assigned
- A completed PhD in Public Health or related field of study and at least 6 years of experience preferred, or a master’s degree and 10 years of experience is highly preferred. (bachelor’s and 14 years of related experience required)
- Significant experience working on health projects in low- and middle-income countries, particularly in West Africa and/or other Francophone countries
- Experience with international donor-supported projects (e.g., USAID and CDC, including PEPFAR)
- Full professional proficiency in French is required
- Strong writing skills in English
- Strong interpersonal skills with domestic and international colleagues
- Ability to work with a high level of independence, using own initiative
- Demonstrated expertise in research and evaluation designs and methods
- Demonstrated skills in qualitative and/or quantitative data analysis and data management
- Proficient in statistical and other software packages, including SPSS, Stata, R, NVivo, Atlas.ti, ArcGIS, Word, Excel, PowerPoint
- Comfortable multi-tasking: handle multiple projects simultaneously, prioritize assignments
- Technical background in at least two of the project domains described in the introduction
- Experience participating in proposal development
- Familiarity and experience in digital health is highly desirable
- Experience in assessing health systems strengthening
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL EFFORT
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Ability to travel internationally 25% of the time is required (typically trips are 2-3 weeks in duration)
- Position is based in an office, requiring sitting at a desk most of the day
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Position is based either in Chapel Hill, North Carolina office or Washington, DC office
- with a large preference for the candidate to be in Chapel Hill, NC.
- Innovation: Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of the organization’s performance and meeting objectives, results, and global commitments.
- Accountability: Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research, and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for the organization’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence: Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written): Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed upon strategies; identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; allocates appropriate time and resources for completing work; foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; and monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary.
- Interpersonal Relationships: Knowledge of and the ability to effectively interact within and across Divisions, Departments/Country Offices in a constructive and collaborative manner.