Palladium seeks a highly qualified Senior Technical Advisor, Private Sector Business Advisory Services and Enabling Environment to lead Outcome 2 of the Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation (SDC)-funded Increasing Market Employability (IME) Phase 2 project in Macedonia. The project follows a facilitative market systems approach to support private sector development and growth in selected economic sectors in Macedonia. The main project goal is to create new jobs through sustainable private sector development, so that the un- and underemployed, particularly women and youth, are engaged in sustainable and decent employment.
IME will have 3 main outcomes:
1) Private sector development - companies in selected sectors grow by improving their products and services and expanding their markets; 2) Improving the business environment - business support functions and financial services are improved, and the policy and regulatory framework are conducive to company growth in selected sectors; and 3) the private sector is sensitized about the added value of engaging more women and youth, and are equipped with the tools for identifying, attracting and retaining them. In Macedonia, IME will be focused on a systemic approach to private sector development to create new jobs, while two other SDC-funded programs will address skills development, and job matching and active labor market measures.
Purpose of Position
The Senior Technical Advisor will report to the Team Leader of the project, closely collaborate with the Monitoring and Results Measurement (MRM) manager and will lead the development and implementation of strategies to improve business support services, financial services and improve the policy and regulatory framework in Macedonia to encourage growth of companies in various sectors.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provides technical and managerial support to design and implement comprehensive approaches, based on international best practices, to strengthen business services institutions, both private and public, in Macedonia.
- Designs and implements strategies with the private sector to fill gaps in the business services supply chain in a commercially sustainable manner.
- Identifies major policy and regulatory constraints hindering private sector growth in targeted sectors.
- Leads adaptive approaches to policy initiatives, analyzing results and pivoting to adjust activities where necessary when meeting unanticipated delays or roadblocks.
- Champions a market systems approach to private sector development, implementing a results and evidence based management approach, and provides technical coaching and training to project staff.
- Ensures effective use of resources, on-time delivery of project activity reports and partner deliverables, and overall compliance with SDC regulations and Palladium policies and procedures.
- Perform any other duties as assigned by management.
- Relevant higher education and professional training in economics, business, international development, or other relevant degree.
- At least 4 years of previous relevant experience in capacity building, activity design and implementation for public and private business support services in Macedonia.
- Network of Macedonian business support institutions and public and private stakeholders.
- Strong understanding of the Market systems/M4P approach to private sector development and supporting market functions, understanding of Macedonian context required.
- Good understanding of the structure of Macedonia’s economy and its supporting systems, including private sector development in Macedonia.
- Experience in the inclusion of groups at risk of social exclusion in in the private sector, in particular youth and women.
- Strong reporting skills and financial management skills.
- Excellent communication, team work and networking skills.
- Ability to work with a wide range of partners.
- Fluency in Macedonian and excellent language capacities in English required, fluency in Albanian also desirable.
Location: Macedonia - - Skopje
About the Organization
Palladium is a global leader in the design, development and delivery of Positive Impact - the intentional creation of enduring social and economic value. We work with foundations, investors, governments, corporations, communities and civil society to formulate strategies and implement solutions that generate lasting social, environmental and financial benefits.
For the past 50 years, we have been making Positive Impact possible. With a team of more than 2,500 employees operating in 90 plus countries and a global network of more than 35,000 technical experts, Palladium has improved - and is committed to continuing to improve - economies, societies and most importantly, people's lives.
Palladium is a child-safe organisation, and screens applicants for suitability to work with children. We also provide equal employment to all participants and employees without regard to race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, veteran or marital status.