SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Technical Manager (STM) is responsible for providing technical, program management and business development leadership and support to IntraHealth country/regional programs (as assigned) to achieve excellence and impact. As the headquarters (HQ) point person for assigned countries/regions and projects, s/he supports country teams to achieve quality programming through data for evidence-based decision making, and documenting and disseminating results and lessons learned to increase IntraHealth’s visibility. S/he is the primary U.S.-based advocate for relevant country/regional programs with HQ staff, US-based partners, sub-contractors, donors, and other global and regional stakeholders. S/he plays a leadership role in seeking new and diversified funding and innovative partnerships to extend IntraHealth’s presence and impact. S/he works closely with country/regional and HQ teams for the strategic visibility of our work, partnerships, and results, and actively contributes to implementation of Beyond Boundaries, IntraHealth’s strategy to align with the SDG era (2015-2018).
The STM works in close collaboration with other HQ departments to ensure strategic and timely advice, assistance and other inputs to add value to the country programs. S/he supervises one or more Chapel Hill-based staff, and may also supervise other staff, and is supervised by a [regional] Program Director. S/he and travels internationally and within the US approximately 30% time.
- Provides technical and quality assurance assistance and support to the country/regional teams including identification and coordination of quality short term technical assistance that advances promising and evidence based programming..
- Works with the county/regional teams and HQ staff to ensure the documentation and visibility of the country/regional projects and programs, highlighting innovations, strengths, results and impact, in blogs, peer review journals, technical briefs, and conferences.
- Represents IntraHealth at a variety of global health and development fora, including technical working groups, and donor, bilateral and multilateral consultative groups, coalitions, alliances, and other meetings.
- Provides programmatic assistance and support to the country/regional teams by liaising and coordinating with other HQ departments and staff (e.g. HR, finance, communications, contracts/grants/procurements) to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial and contractual integrity from project start-up through close-out.
- Works closely with HQ and country/regional technical and measurement, evaluation and research (MER) teams to implement evidence based interventions that achieve expected results.
- Assists country/regional teams to support quality implementation, meeting or exceeding donor and key stakeholder expectations and requirements.
- Assists country/regional leaders and teams to ensure that management and operational systems are fully functional, spending is consistent with donor approved budgets and annual revenue projections, and implementation is in full compliance with donor, country and IntraHealth policies and practices.
- Assists country/regional leaders and teams to develop and act on country/project learning plans, country office performance dashboards, country/regional portfolio review meetings, and annual organizational strategy workplans.
- Recruit and supervise program staff at HQ and when necessary assist country/regional teams with recruitment and orientation of key personnel.
- Partners with Business Development to engage in strategic growth and diversification of the country/regional program portfolio to include country strategic growth planning, donor and partner mapping and cultivation, partner negotiation, technical proposal leading and writing, budgeting oversight, identify sources of cost share, and senior staff recruitment.
- Provides guidance in the identification, establishment and ongoing cultivation of country/regional private sector partnerships and alliances.
- A Master’s degree or higher in global public health, social sciences, or related discipline and a minimum of 10 years of experience or a Bachelor’s degree in a related field of study and at least 14 years of related work experience.
- Must have at least five years of supervisory experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience living and working in East Africa or at least 5 years’ experience with extensive travel (at least two trips per years) to provide a mix of technical, programmatic, and business development assistance.
- Deep expertise in at least 2 of the following technical areas: integrated reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health or HIV service delivery across the continuum of care from community to facility; health care training, education, and performance; quality improvement, policy and advocacy; community engagement; digital health and technology solutions; human resource management; gender equality; youth engagement; and, analytics and data for decision making.
- Experience supporting complex health projects funded by a variety of donors including annual work plan and budget development, using data for decision making and managing program performance, financial and risk management, donor rules and regulations, and project and financial reporting. Contract management experience highly desirable.
- Experience working with high level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations, ministries of health, and private sector (e.g. philanthropic, commercial).
- Proven experience in leading and managing teams for new business development and demonstrated ability to write technical proposals as a lead technical writer or providing significant technical contributions, for the U.S. government (USAID, CDC) as well as diversified donors (e.g. private foundations).
- Significant experience as a team player and commitment to bringing about change through a partnership approach.
- Ability to travel internationally/domestically approximately 30% time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Candidates with additional languages relevant to East Africa, a plus
- Candidate must live in the Chapel Hill/Durham/Raleigh, NC area or be willing to relocate there within a reasonable notice period.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Innovation- Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that result in improvement of IntraHealth’s performance and meeting objectives, results and global commitments.
- Accountability- Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high quality results for IntraHealth’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence- Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Strategic Thinking- Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for IntraHealth while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
- Client Relationship Management- Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written)- Understands effective communication concepts, tools and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @:http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the Organization
Why Choose IntraHealth?
At IntraHealth, we are a global team of creative, committed humanitarians on a mission. We are advocates, technologists, health workers, and communicators. Program officers, finance experts, and technical leaders. We are passionate and diverse. And we’re united in our belief that everyone everywhere should have the health care they need to thrive. That’s why we work every day to improve the performance of health workers around the world and strengthen the systems in which they work.
For almost 40 years in over 100 countries, IntraHealth has partnered with local communities to make sure health workers are present where they’re needed most, ready to do the job, connected to the technology they need, and safe to do their very best work.
Our programs are designed with a deep understanding of and appreciation for the context of human rights, gender equality and discrimination, economic empowerment, and changing populations. And the longstanding relationships we’ve built with government agencies, private-sector partners, and members of civil society make our efforts stronger and more effective.
Join us and together we can make lasting changes in global health—for all of us.