NOTE: The internal title for this position is Senior Advisor, MEL.
EnCompass LLC is seeking a Senior Advisor to provide leadership on interdisciplinary technical design and implementation, client engagement, and multi-cultural teams for field monitoring, evaluation, and learning (MEL) projects on the Technical Assistance and Evaluation (TA/Eval) team. We are looking for someone with expert technical and operational MEL skills, knowledge of USAID Program Cycle, skills and experience in project mobilization, quality assurance, problem-resolution, budgets, and contracts; demonstrated diplomacy and leadership to foster an atmosphere of teamwork, productivity, fairness, equity, and innovation; and support for diversity in working with contract team members, Mission staff, and host-country counterparts. Although EnCompass MEL projects typically have Chiefs of Party, or Team Leads, the Senior Advisor will share full ownership over multiple field and headquarter based MEL programs and will be accountable for ensuring positive client feedback on EnCompass work.
The position is preferably based at EnCompass headquarters, in Rockville, Maryland, but remote location can be negotiated.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
Essential functions include:
- Lead the technical design and management of field-based MEL projects and platforms, including technical design and implementation, client engagement, team management, development of data collection strategies and tools; data collection, analysis and interpretation; preparation of high quality evaluation products, and effective communication/dialogue with clients on findings and recommendations on issues relevant to client Missions
- Provide quality assurance on all technical aspects of MEL activities, with a focus on timeliness, technical rigor, effective communication of technical work, and use
- Liaise with multicultural technical teams, many of whom do not speak English as a first language
- Ensure that collaborating, learning, and adapting (CLA) principles are integrated across all aspects of the project to ensure interventions are coordinated, grounded in evidence, and adjusted as necessary to remain relevant and effective throughout implementation
- Provide MEL and subject matter expertise to various project activities
- Design and facilitate capacity building trainings and workshops related to monitoring, evaluation and learning using appreciative, participatory, adult learning methodologies
- Develop and deepen innovative approaches to evaluation and participate actively in the broader evaluation community
- Manage monitoring, evaluation and learning contracts, including developing and monitoring Level of Effort estimates, work plans and budgets, and ensuring contract compliance
- Build and maintain high quality relationships and communications with clients, field teams, and subcontractors
- Manage project teams to ensure quality performance of staff and consultants, including recruiting, hiring and managing consultants
- Supervise and mentor junior, mid-level, and senior field and headquarters staff
- Contribute to developing and improving evaluation project management systems
- Identify and solve complex problems that affect the management and technical direction of large MEL contracts
- Participate in determining MEL business development strategy and incorporate this knowledge and expertise in producing proposals. Lead technical writing efforts and budgets from a technical perspective
- Contribute to the identification of opportunities, long term capture, and bid/no bid decisions
- Contribute to company business development through networking in professional circles
- Recruit consultants for proposals and contribute to expansion of the Global Consultant Network
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Master’s Degree & 8+ Years’ Experience; or PHD & 4 Years’ Experience. Degree in international development or related field
Experience and Skills
- Minimum 10 years of experience on monitoring and evaluation efforts of complex international development programs
- Minimum of 4 years of experience leading monitoring and evaluation projects (including overall responsibility for technical quality, managing budgets, and leading intercultural teams)
- Prior experience overseeing contract long term field based MEL programs
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors and cultures
- Strong qualitative and/or quantitative evaluation skills, including sample design, mixed method designs, data analysis and instrument development. Quantitative skills should include good command of statistics, sampling methodologies, and statistical analysis software such as SPSS, STATA, Epi Info, among others
- Demonstrated experience managing complex data collection and analysis efforts
- Demonstrated experience in developing successful large MEL proposals
- Ability to think strategically and integrate diverse information from varied sources
- Strong technical expertise within one or more social development sectors, such as education, democracy and governance, public health, HIV, gender, etc
- Experience in designing and facilitating interactive meetings and workshops
- Knowledge of or experience in applying appreciative inquiry and participatory approaches highly desirable
- Ability to provide leadership across concurrent complex MEL contracts with competing priorities and deadlines
- Strong work planning, budgeting and contract management skills, including experience with complex projects
- Strong planning, organization and strategic thinking skills
- Demonstrated experience managing and supervising consultants, staff, and teams in a manner that empowers teams while ensuring their well-being
- Capability to identify, develop, and maintain a strong network of consultants
- Ability to be flexible in adjusting to client needs and project requirements
- Significant experience directly engaging clients, implementing partners, and other key stakeholders
- Exceptional technical and general writing skills, including ability to develop and review complex technical products, ensuring overall quality and concise language
- Flexibility and ability to travel internationally or domestically for varying lengths of time
- Proven track record of successful teamwork, good presentation/facilitation skills and excellent verbal and written communication skills required
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues
- Fluency in languages other than English highly desirable
- Experience working or living overseas preferred
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter to https://encompassworld.com/work-with-us.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.