Devex is assisting a nonprofit organization dedicated to working with developing countries to improve their public health capabilities, in their search for a Senior Technical Manager, West Africa.
The Senior Technical Manager (STM) is responsible for providing technical, program management and business development leadership and support to the organization’s country/regional programs in West Africa to achieve excellence and impact. As the headquarters (HQ) point person for assigned countries/regions and projects, s/he supports country teams to achieve quality programming through data for evidence-based decision making and documenting and disseminating results and lessons learned to increase the organization’s visibility. S/he is the primary U.S.-based advocate for relevant country/regional programs with HQ staff, US-based partners, sub-contractors, donors, and other global and regional stakeholders. S/he plays a leadership role in seeking new and diversified funding and innovative partnerships to extend the organization’s presence and impact. S/he works closely with country/regional and HQ teams for the strategic visibility of our work, partnerships, and results, and actively contributes to the implementation of Beyond Boundaries, the organization’s strategy to align with the SDG era (2015-2018).
The STM works in close collaboration with other HQ departments to ensure strategic and timely advice, assistance and other inputs to add value to the country programs. S/he supervises one or more Chapel Hill-based staff, and may also supervise other staff, and is supervised by a [regional] Program Director. S/he and travels internationally and within the US approximately 30% time.
- Provides technical and quality assurance assistance and support to the country/regional teams including identification and coordination of quality short-term technical assistance that advances promising and evidence-based programming.
- Works with the county/regional teams and HQ staff to ensure the documentation and visibility of the country/regional projects and programs, highlighting innovations, strengths, results, and impact, in blogs, peer review journals, technical briefs, and conferences.
- Represents the organization at a variety of global health and development fora, including technical working groups, and donor, bilateral and multilateral consultative groups, coalitions, alliances, and other meetings.
- Provides programmatic assistance and support to the country/regional teams by liaising and coordinating with other HQ departments and staff (e.g. HR, finance, communications, contracts/grants/procurements) to ensure the strategic, programmatic, technical, financial and contractual integrity from project start-up through close-out.
- Works closely with HQ and country/regional technical and measurement, evaluation and research (MER) teams to implement evidence-based interventions that achieve expected results.
- Assists country/regional teams to support quality implementation, meeting or exceeding donor and key stakeholder expectations and requirements.
- Assists country/regional leaders and teams to ensure that management and operational systems are fully functional, spending is consistent with donor approved budgets and annual revenue projections, and implementation is in full compliance with donor, country and the organization’s policies and practices.
- Assists country/regional leaders and teams to develop and act on country/project learning plans, country office performance dashboards, country/regional portfolio review meetings, and annual organizational strategy work-plans.
- Recruit and supervise program staff at HQ and when necessary assist country/regional teams with recruitment and orientation of key personnel.
- Partners with Business Development to engage in strategic growth and diversification of the country/regional program portfolio to include country strategic growth planning, donor and partner mapping and cultivation, partner negotiation, technical proposal leading and writing, budgeting oversight, identify sources of cost share, and senior staff recruitment.
- Provides guidance in the identification, establishment and ongoing cultivation of country/regional private sector partnerships and alliances.
- A Master’s degree or higher in global public health, social sciences, or related discipline and a minimum of 10 years’ experience including 5 years of supervisory experience.
- At least 3 years’ experience living and working in Francophone Africa/countries or at least 5 years’ experience with extensive travel (at least two trips/year) to provide a mix of technical, programmatic and business development assistance.
- Deep expertise in integrated reproductive, maternal, newborn, child and adolescent health across the continuum of care from community to facility; healthcare training, education, and performance; quality improvement, policy and advocacy; community engagement; digital health and technology solutions; human resource management; gender equality; youth engagement; and, analytics and data for decision making.
- Experience supporting complex health projects funded by a variety of donors including annual work plan and budget development, using data for decision making and managing program performance, financial and risk management, donor rules, and regulations, and project and financial reporting. Contract management experience highly desirable.
- Experience working with high-level officials in funding agencies, international organizations, private foundations, ministries of health, and private sector (e.g. philanthropic, commercial).
- Proven experience in leading and managing teams for new business development and demonstrated the ability to write technical proposals as a lead technical writer or providing significant technical contributions, for the U.S. government (USAID, CDC) as well as diversified donors (e.g. private foundations).
- Significant experience as a team player and commitment to bringing about change through a partnership approach.
- Ability to travel internationally/domestically approximately 30% time.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Candidates should be fluent in French.
WORKING CONDITIONS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
- Innovation - Develops new, better or significantly different ideas, methods, solutions or initiatives within your role that results in improvement of the organization’s performance and meeting objectives, results, and global commitments.
- Accountability- Holds self and others accountable for all work activities, research and personal actions and decisions; follows through on commitments and focuses on those activities that have the greatest impact on meeting measurable high-quality results for the organization’s success. Exercises ethical practices, respectful words and behaviors, and equitable treatment of others in all activities.
- Service Excellence - Knowledge of and ability to put into action customer service concepts, processes, and techniques to access internal and/or external client needs and expectations and meet or exceed those needs and expectations through providing excellent service directly or indirectly.
- Strategic Thinking - Applies organizational knowledge to identify and maintain focus on key success factors for the organization while recognizing, anticipating and resolving organizational challenges. Ability to develop organization and industry-specific expertise and apply sound decision-making processes to reach productive resolutions that translates strategy into actionable business plans.
- Client Relationship Management - Knowledge and ability to determine and satisfy client needs (internally and externally) and maintain partnering and productive relationships during engagements, including influencing, communicating, presenting, facilitating, and managing new relationships.
- Effective Communication (Oral and Written) - Understands effective communication concepts, tools, and techniques; ability to effectively transmit, explain complex technical concepts in simple, clear language appropriate to the audience; and receive, and accurately interpret ideas, information, and needs through the application of appropriate communication behaviors.