Chemonics seeks a senior tourism adviser for USAID’s Jobs, Opportunities, and Business Success (JOBS) project based in Tunis, Tunisia. The adviser will lead strategic, technical, and operational implementation of the project’s upcoming tourism initiatives. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Conceptualize and develop work plans and implement tourism activities
- Manage the work of long- and short-term consultants and subcontractors in tourism
- Plan and manage capacity building programs, including training for public, private, and local community stakeholders on areas of product development, marketing, and destination planning and development
- Oversee a grants program to support selected tourism activities, including identifying grantees and working with operations and grants staff on their award and execution
- Advise project management on issues related to tourism, including strategy
- Develop and maintain a strong network of tourism sector stakeholders internationally and in Tunisia in the private and public sectors, becoming familiar with all aspects of the tourism industry in Tunisia
- Report regularly on progress, highlights, upcoming events, etc., as determined by project management
- Develop and maintain a detailed and accurate tracking methodology to assess the impact of project tourism work (both for internal management decision making as well as and in collaboration with M&E for project reporting)
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as international development or natural and social science research is required; master’s degree preferred
- Minimum of 10 years experience in international tourism development, including product development, destination marketing, and policy issues; experience in specific segments such as adventure, wellness, cultural, and meetings, incentives, conferences, and exhibitions (MICE) tourism highly desired
- Demonstrated experience building capacities of tourism organizations and industry associations, including at the board level
- Experience in community-based tourism development, including conceptualization of visitor experiences, itinerary design, and stakeholder engagement
- Strong knowledge of and experience with latest trends of digital and social marketing, communication, and online tourism sales channels and mobile applications
- Knowledge of the Tunisian tourism industry desired but not required; knowledge of tourism in the Middle East and North African region strongly desired
- Experience in managing international donor projects, preferably with USAID
- Strong experience in managing grants programs, especially under USAID projects
- Strong networks in and knowledge of leading international tourism organizations, the World Trade Organization, leading tour operators, online marketing, social media, and booking services
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- Fluency in English required; working-level ability in either French or Arabic (with strong preference for both)
Please send an electronic version of your CV and cover letter with “Senior Tourism Advisor” in the subject line to TunisiaJOBSTourismAdvisor@chemonics.com by July 26, 2019. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/eu-recruiting-data-privacy-notice/
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.