Description of Duties and Primary Responsibilities:
The overall responsibility of the Senior Tourism Specialist is to manage and be the lead expert on tourism related activities and staff for the My Armenia program. This includes overseeing tourism planning, product development and training, business development/training and marketing/market access for the tourism products and destination that My Armenia works with.
The Senior Tourism Specialist will also be responsible for coordination with other program activities as they relate to tourism and integration with the overall program work plan and objectives, which include:
Objective 1: Strengthen Armenia’s cultural heritage tourism offerings
Objective 2: Increase awareness of Armenia as a cultural heritage tourism destination
Objective 3: Improve cultural tourism sector workforce skills
Objective 4: Coordinate Government of Armenia (GOAM), donor, resource partner, and stakeholder involvement
The Senior Tourism Specialist will be responsible for achieving positive impacts for tourism products and destinations, including increased visitation, revenues and awareness of the products and destinations that My Armenia works with. Under the guidance and as assigned by the My Armenia Chief of Party, he/she will also be responsible to further national level relationships and activities with key tourism partners in the government, private sector and civil society.
Specific Responsibilities include:
- Manage the respective technical staff of the My Armenia program in their daily activities as they relate to supporting My Armenia tourism related program objectives, this includes the tourism product development specialist and tourism marketing specialist, as well as consultants and other staff members that work on tourism product and marketing related activities.
- Conduct tourism planning at the program wide level as well as with individual staff members (activity planning) under their supervision, to move My Armenia program activities forward
- Work with the My Armenia research team and staff to guide and identify potential tourism opportunities that will come out of ethnographic, historical, natural and other research being conducted in the regions
- Work with the My Armenia Product Development Specialist and other team members to identify, conceptualize and develop tourism products in target regions and destinations
- Collaborate with tour operators and other tourism stakeholders in providing inputs on potential tourism products as well as build relationships with these businesses to facilitate sales between My Armenia tourism products and tour operators
- Oversee business planning, management and operations training and guide training for tourism products (specific trainings conducted by other specialists)
- Work with the My Armenia Marketing Specialist to develop marketing materials for tourism products as well as destinations
- Work with the My Armenia Marketing Specialist to package and promote tourism products and destinations to Armenian tour operators and domestic travel markets
- Work with team members to develop and implement marketing and market access programs to promote My Armenia supported products and destinations
- Where applicable identify needs for specialty trainings or other technical services for My Armenia supported products
- Work with team members to test and refine the tourism products when they are ready for visitors
- Plan and coordination impact monitoring efforts with My Armenia Monitoring & Evaluation Specialist
- Maintain open and effective communication with project team in Yerevan and Washington, D.C.
- Ensure close collaboration with other team members working on other aspects of the My Armenia Program
- Detailed annual and short-term work-plan development as well as activity planning to guide implementation efforts
- Regular reporting on progress, activities and results of activities
- Perform other duties as needed and assigned by My Armenia Chief of Party
- At least 10 years of experience in the tourism sector working on tourism product development, tour development, tour management or tourism marketing
- At least 5 years of experience in a management or supervisory role (overseeing a team of staff)
- Experience working for, and strong relations with, international tour operators
- Experience with the promotion of tourism sites, activities or tours
- Experience working with cultural heritage tourism related businesses
- Experience with business planning, management and operations of tourism businesses a plus
- Minimum of a Bachelor degree in tourism, business, or a social science related to the tourism industry
- Ability to work independently with only periodic guidance to achieve assigned responsibilities based on work-plans.
- Excellent written and verbal English. Armenian and additional languages is a plus
- Strong, demonstrated project and staff management skills and experience working with diverse team members in the office and in remote locations.
- Ability to travel for 20-30% of your time in rural areas of Armenia to conduct product development work
- Ability to locate to Yerevan, Armenia if not currently living in Yerevan
About the Organization
Solimar International (www.solimarinternational.com) is a Washington, DC based sustainable tourism development and marketing firm with the mission to assist businesses, travelers, and destinations develop and connect to sustainable tourism experiences that support environmental conservation, celebrate local culture, and enhance the lives of local residents.
Solimar operates in countries around the world with a global network of professional staff dedicated to promoting the goals of sustainable tourism. Our team provides business planning, product development, marketing, and related consulting services to national tourism authorities, regional tourism associations, and private tourism businesses. Solimar has a history of serving USAID, World Bank, IFC, IDB, UNWTO, UNDP, other US Government agencies, large conservation NGO’s, foreign and state governments, private clients, and industry associations.