DevTech Systems, Inc. (DevTech) is an international consulting firm dedicated to development, with over 30 years of experience providing advisory services and technical assistance to government, private sector, and civil society stakeholders in more than 100 countries. We are a data-driven evidence-based organization that specializes in informing policy making by delivering focused data-driven evidence-based analysis products and services. DevTech’s core practice areas include Data Services; Public Financial Management, Knowledge Management and Data Analysis, Monitoring and Evaluation, Education, Gender and Youth, Security Transparency and Governance, and Energy and Environment.
DevTech is currently managing USAID/Indonesia’s Economic Growth Support Activity (EGSA). EGSA has three objectives: i) enabling evidence-based decision making through ongoing analysis that links together the United State Government’s Indo-Pacific Strategy (IPS), Journey to Self-Reliance (J2SR), and Government of Indonesia (GOI) priorities (CDCS); (ii) improving Government of Indonesia (GOI technical capacity in tax collection, public expenditure, and financial accountability; and (iii) improving the business enabling environment for foreign and domestic business entities.
The Senior Trade Economist Consultant will support the Coordinating Ministries of Economic Affair (CMEA) by providing policy input on the Government of Indonesia (GOI)’s reform strategy to streamline non-tariff measures and reduce trade barriers.
The Consultant will be responsible for: (i) reviewing the existing policy on Non-Tariff Measures (NTM) for products in selected sectors (food and beverage industry); (ii) facilitating private sector stakeholders consultations to gauge the necessity as well as the effects of an NTM for products in the select sector on different groups; (iii) developing policy recommendations related to identifying viable alternatives to improve the design of existing and future measures and narrow the gap with international best practices; and (iv) supporting a workshop on NTM which will be held in Jakarta, tentatively scheduled for August 2021.
Scope of Work
The Consultant shall carry out the following tasks:
- Work closely with EGSA’s Legal and Regulatory Specialist - Trade Consultant in reviewing the existing regulatory and institutional framework on NTMs for products in the selected sector (food and beverage industry).
- Conduct and lead focus group discussions (FGDs) and private sector stakeholder consultations in Indonesia with logistical support from EGSA’s team.
- Develop policy recommendations related to identifying viable alternatives guided by international best practices to improve the design of existing and future measures on NTMs in the select sector (food and beverage industry).
- Present analysis and recommendations to the government counterpart and private sector stakeholders and produce the final report incorporating feedback from counterparts at all levels.
- Support discussions with the government counterpart to follow up on the policy recommendations in support of the development of a reform roadmap and action plan on streamlining NTMs in the select sector (food and beverage industry).
- Support the rollout of an NTM workshop to be funded and hosted by CMEA.
- Prepare a monthly progress report outlining activities conducted during the period and link to deliverables in the contract, meetings, output produced, and follow up plan for internal reporting purpose.
- University degree (Masters or equivalent is preferred) in economics, international trade, or related discipline.
- A minimum of 10 years of experience working in areas related to trade policy and trade competitiveness, including conducting economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in the areas of international trade, trade policy and non-tariff measures.
- Prior work experiences with the GOI agencies related to trade competitiveness or in similar capacity are preferred.
- Fluency in English and Indonesian both written and oral.
- Ability to work independently, with flexibility and deliver results under time pressure.
- Ability to work as a part of a team and with minimum supervision.
- Professional and expert knowledge of trade policy, economic policy practices and NTMs in Indonesia. Knowledge of international and ASEAN (Association of South East Asian Nations) good practices is an advantage.
- Advance and up-to-date knowledge on trade control measures and International classification of NTMs.
- Prior experience in economic research and analysis, policy formulation, application of economic principles in the areas of international trade, trade policy and analysis of Non-Tariff measures, having at least one or more assignment(s) done before as lead consultant/researcher (measured by sample of the relevant report submitted in the application form).
Deliverables, Level of Effort, Schedule
- Task No. 1
- Prepare a report on the Regulatory and Institutional Framework on Non-Tariff Measures (NTMs) relating to the Food and Beverage Industry (to be developed in collaboration with the Legal and Regulatory Specialist - Trade Consultant). Report must be written in English and Bahasa Indonesia
- Workdays Required: 15 days
- Task No. 2
- Facilitation of at least 2 (two) Focus Group Discussions and (4) Private Sector Stakeholder Consultations. Participation of invitees at these consultations will be coordinated with the EGSA team.
- Workdays Required: 10 days
- Task No. 3
- Draft a report on Policy Recommendation for Streamlining NTMs relating to the Food and Beverage Industry . Report must be written in English and Bahasa Indonesia.
- Workdays Required: 10 days
- Task No. 4
- Participate in follow up discussions with the CMEA on the policy recommendations as part of EGSA’s support for a reform roadmap and action plan development.
- Workdays Required: 10 days
- Task No. 5
- Develop a reform roadmap and action plan to streamline NTM in the select sector (food and beverage industry). The format of the reform roadmap will be agreed with CMEA and will build on the policy recommendations.
- Wordays Required: 12 days
- Task No. 6
- Support the CMEA in preparation of 1 (one) national workshop on Streamlining NTM.
- Workdays Required: 2 days
- Task No. 7
- Monthly short progress reports that describe activity progress.
- Workdays Required: 1 day
All deliverables must be prepared in USAID reporting format and must be acceptable by EGSA and USAID.
The Consultants will submit their invoice monthly along with the monthly progress report as attachments to the invoice. The invoice, output and progress report will be reviewed and accepted by EGSA’s Business Enabling Environment component lead.
The trade expert will provide services for up to 60 days of level of effort (LOE) from April – August 2021.
About the Organization
NOTE: This job posting should not be construed to imply that the requirements are the exclusive standards of the position nor will it be the sole basis for any subsequent employee evaluations. Incumbents will follow any other instructions and perform any other related duties as may be required by their supervisor.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, or other status protected by applicable law.