Senior Vice President for Programs, Arlington, VA
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, DC metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia, and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with more than 80 organizations across all sectors of international development with clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the UNDP to national and local governments, NGOs, think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.
Reporting directly to the company President and serving as an integral member of the executive management team (EMT), the Senior Vice President for Programs (SVP) will be responsible for providing support, guidance and managerial oversight to MSI’s Democracy, Rights and Governance; Peace and Stability; Gender and Youth practices. S/he will directly supervise the designated practice area leads and have overall supervisory responsibility for the full complement of associated technical staff, currently numbering approximately 24.
- Provide broad oversight for MSI projects associated with the assigned practice areas, helping to ensure technical excellence, contractual compliance and client satisfaction.
- Support development and facilitate implementation of appropriate technical tools, systems, guidelines and policies/procedures to ensure quality, value and utility of products and services delivered to clients.
- Collaborate with practice area leads to identify business development goals, opportunities and priorities, and facilitate access to resources for successful pursuit of new business. Support bid development, including assembling and supporting proposal teams and contributing to proposals.
- Oversee and support the work of practice area and project/task leads associated with technical staffing and assignment management, including the selection, hiring, development and deployment of home office and field project team resources.
- Contribute to the development of MSI’s strategic goals and objectives as a member of the EMT. Translate overall company objectives into practice area goals and priorities, working with technical leads and staff to define expectations and responsibilities. Support corporate business goals.
- Maintain continuous lines of communication, keeping the President and/or other EMT members informed as appropriate of all critical issues, facilitating cooperation between technical and operational elements.
- Provide thought leadership for staff and in the market. Ensure opportunities are seized to promote the MSI brand as a thought leader in all practice areas.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Facilitate training and developmental opportunities for technical staff and serve in mentoring role for direct reports and other staff.
- Represent the organization externally and within the larger Tetra Tech family as a member of corporate leadership.
- Oversee and/or directly contribute to company-wide special projects, working groups, or process improvement initiatives as determined by the President and EMT.
- Perform other related duties or assignments as required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
- Minimum fifteen (15) years of experience in international development, with 5-7 years of senior-level management experience in an international development consulting firm or International NGO required. Home office experience preferred.
- Experience with USAID and other USG foreign affairs/assistance programs or agencies required. An active contact base in donor organizations strongly desired. Experience with additional USG/non-USG programs or clients, such as DoD, World Bank, Department of State, desired.
- Strong technical background in Democracy, Rights and Governance (DRG) and/or conflict mitigation/stabilization programming required.
- Experience in business development/marketing for international development required. Experience managing and writing winning proposals for the US Government required.
- Direct management or technical experience on field implementation projects in DRG or conflict mitigation strongly preferred.
- Superior management skills; ability to influence and engage direct and indirect reports and peers required. Clear evidence of working collaboratively across organizational divisions required.
- Strong mentoring, coaching experience for a team with diverse levels of experience and expertise required.
- Knowledge of project management processes, tools and techniques applicable to planning and implementing international development efforts required.
- Proven track record of success facilitating progressive organizational change and development within an organization strongly preferred.
- Excellent judgment and creative problem solving skills including negotiation and conflict resolution required.
- Energetic, flexible, collaborative, and proactive; a team leader who can positively and productively impact both strategic and tactical operational initiatives required.
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills and the ability to effectively interface with senior management and staff required.
- Master’s degree in social sciences, public administration, management, international development or related field required.