The Population Reference Bureau (PRB) seeks a Senior Writer/Editor for the MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator, a new global health initiative. MOMENTUM is the U.S. Agency for International Development’s (USAID’s) flagship suite of awards that build the capacity of national and local partners in low- and middle-income countries to accelerate the reduction of preventable child and maternal deaths globally.
Within the suite of awards, MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator ensures the systematic collection, analysis, synthesis, use, translation, and dissemination of data and learning from across the entire suite of MOMENTUM awards to inform both internal programmatic decision-making and the global evidence base for maternal and child health, voluntary family planning, and reproductive health (MNCH/FP/RH). Population Reference Bureau (PRB) is leading MOMENTUM Knowledge Accelerator, working with a consortium of partners. This position will be located at PRB’s office in Washington D.C.
The Senior Writer/Editor will report to the Senior Strategic Communication Director and will assist with producing materials for the project, including web articles, fact sheets, case studies, reports, social media messaging, and innovative digital products. Primary audiences will include project partners across the MOMENTUM suite, global partners, donors, policymakers, and stakeholders working in maternal and child health, family planning, and reproductive health programs.
- Writes and manages the production of articles, fact sheets, case studies, briefs, and reports. Edits and manages production of materials written by project partners.
- Tracks and manages products from concept through design, layout, and production.
- Suggests, writes, and posts content for the MOMENTUM website.
- Reviews and edits content submitted by MOMENTUM partners and posts to the MOMENTUM website.
- Creates content for MOMENTUM social media channels.
- Assists with communications across MOMENTUM partners.
- Assists with media outreach and marketing.
- Assists in managing an editorial calendar across the MOMENTUM awards.
- Assists in managing and monitoring social media.
- A graduate degree (master’s) in communications, journalism, public health, social sciences, or related field is required.
- At least seven years’ experience in a health-related, development, or social research organization. Strong knowledge of maternal and child health, family planning, reproductive health, and related fields is desirable.
- Ability to synthesize and present complex concepts in easy-to-understand terms, especially translating research material for nontechnical audiences.
- Demonstrated ability to work respectfully and collegially in teams and with professionals of different levels and backgrounds around the world.
- Excellent writing, editing, time-management, attention to detail, and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to perform and prioritize multiple tasks simultaneously, adhering to deadlines.
- Established portfolio of written articles and other publications on health, gender, population, international development, or related topics.
- Experience developing social media messages in a professional context. Experience managing social media is desirable.
- Fluency in English required; professional proficiency in French is a valued asset.
- Management experience, including monitoring budgets, workplans, and working with consultants a plus, but not required.
Salary and Benefits
- Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience. PRB has an excellent benefits package, including generous health, leave, and retirement programs.
- Please upload your resume and cover letter in the “resume” section. Only finalists will be contacted. Applications without a cover letter will not be considered.
- We would like to fill this position as soon as possible.
- This position is located in Washington, D.C.
Population Reference Bureau is an equal opportunity employer
About the Organization
The Population Reference Bureau informs people around the world about population, health, and the environment, and empowers them to use that information to advance the well-being of current and future generations. Inform. PRB analyzes complex demographic data and research to provide the most objective, accurate, and up-to-date population information in a format that is easily understood by advocates, journalists, and decision makers alike. Empower. Our commitment to putting information into action sets us apart. PRB builds coalitions and conducts workshops around the world to give our key audiences the tools they need to understand and communicate effectively about population issues. Advance. PRB works to ensure that policymakers in developing countries and in the United States rely on sound evidence, rather than anecdotal or outdated information, when creating population, health, and environmental policies.