The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) has contracted Social Solutions to recruit and hire qualified individuals for the following position:
Title: Senior Youth and Reproductive Health Advisor
Location: Washington, DC
Application Deadline: Open until filled
Salary Range: GS 14 equivalent
The Bureau for Global Health (GH) serves as USAID’s primary source of technical expertise, leadership, and donor coordination for the health sector, including HIV and AIDS, infectious diseases, child and maternal health and nutrition, family planning and reproductive health, and health systems strengthening and reform. GH is responsible for advancing field-relevant, state-of-the-art research and the transfer of new technologies and approaches to field programs. Through its staff, programs and country teams, GH provides critical support to USAID missions and field programs in more than 70 countries.
The Office of Population and Reproductive Health (PRH) advances and supports voluntary family planning and reproductive health (FP/RH) programs worldwide to reduce unintended pregnancy and foster improved reproductive health behaviors. PRH provides strategic direction, global technical leadership and support to field programs; ensures responsiveness to Congressional and Administration priorities, directives and restrictions; and provides information on USAID’s family planning and reproductive health programs to a range of stakeholders. PRH identifies youth as an important priority population that requires specific attention so as to achieve the goals of GH’s signature initiatives, including FP2020, and Controlling the AIDS Epidemic and Preventing Child and Maternal Deaths (PCMD). Key programmatic approaches include efforts to delay first pregnancy to at least age 18 and to ensure improved pregnancy spacing among adolescent mothers. The Senior Youth and Reproductive Health Advisor is responsible for: a) recommending improvements in youth programming within projects and initiatives managed by GH/PRH staff and in field Missions; b) presenting and communicating USAID’s technical leadership on youth; c) working effectively across multiple sectors of the Agency in support of the Youth in Development Policy and programs to promote cross-sectoral collaboration and synergies; d) collaborating with other USG agencies, donors and multilateral agencies on youth activities as appropriate.
Providing senior level strategic guidance and expertise, including assisting with the preparation and/or review of strategies and plans to address needs at the global level.
- Serve as Technical Advisor for specific youth-focused activities supported by PRH, GH, and USAID broadly.
- Work in collaboration with the Agency Youth Coordinator and the PRH Senior Youth Health Advisor in the implementation of USAID Youth Policy.
Serving subject matter expert to USAID and its partners.
- Collaborate with staff from USAID Missions, other USG agencies, NGOs, FBOs, donors and multilaterals in-country, and representatives from the host government and commercial sectors.
- Facilitate the development of youth programming that supports USG initiatives and policies and host government objectives, policies and national plans.
Assessing current health literature and international guidelines, and providing recommendations to USAID.
- Organize and support PRH youth team to implement activities that strengthen PRH’s capacity to support improved Mission-level programming for youth.
- Provide technical support and staff other duties within GH/PRH as assigned.
Contributing to the routine work, including providing technical updates, briefers and other documents that describe USAID’s activities, research and progress; preparing portfolio reviews and reports; reviewing documents such as annual reports and operational plans; and preparing responses to Q&As and other requests for information.
- Increase Health Officers’ awareness of the most effective interventions for improving health outcomes among youth through technical leadership and outreach.
- Provide technical support as a member of one or more USAID/Washington Health Country Teams.
Assisting countries in developing their capacity to plan management activities.
- Support efforts to strengthen the evidence base regarding investments in positive youth development, cross-sectoral programming and very young adolescents that achieve positive reproductive health and family planning outcomes.
- Assist, as needed, with the preparation of information briefs, etc., including information for Congress and other activities with regard to youth programming.
- Participate in strategic initiatives at the Office or Bureau level, as needed.
Assisting international and local partners at the country level.
- Serve as a thought leader in youth programing within USAID, cooperating agencies, Missions, donors and/or other partners; through this leadership emphasize the importance of youth as a critical area of family planning and reproductive health
Providing technical advice to ensure that country programs are consistent with current practice, international standards and recommendations.
- Serve as a technical expert on health sector or multi-sector programs and initiatives for youth.
Contributing public health expertise and participating in working groups and task forces.
- Provide information, guidance, and technical expertise to identify, adapt, and replicate evidence-based interventions for youth reproductive health and HIV programs, particularly during design and implementation stages.
- Facilitate the development of strengthened youth-focused health programs, activities, country strategies, and/or policies.
- Organize and support the monitoring and evaluation of youth health activities in the field.
Reviewing and synthesizing information about USAID programs, to identify operational priorities and make recommendations.
- Recommend and support the development of annual budget requests, present at annual results reviews and support technical oversight of youth-specific activities of implementing partners.
- Provide strategic input and technical expertise to senior GH staff and other Agency staff on proposed service delivery activities, policy initiatives, and research proposals.
Monitoring and guiding USAID’s agenda.
- Serve as a senior technical counterpart to youth advisors in other offices and bureaus, including, but not limited to those working in the Offices of HIV/AIDS, Office of the Global AIDS Coordinator, the USAID Intra-agency Youth Working Group, Youth Development Policy, Public Law 109-95 Assistance to Highly Vulnerable Children, and other Agency-wide initiatives.
Follow global developments and provide recommendations to USAID regarding the application of this information to USAID’s technical and strategic approaches.
- Catalyze and support the design and implementation of a strategic plan for strengthening and expanding youth activities within PRH-funded projects managed by Washington staff, including identifying youth-appropriate indicators and designing activities.
Keeping current on the latest literature, reports and international guidelines and standards.
- Keep abreast of major developments in health and cross-sectoral for youth, and contextualize these developments for potential Agency use.
Preparing and submitting papers to professional journals and meetings.
- Develop an action plan for youth programming in the field.
- Collaborate with other USAID programs and initiatives such as the EPCMD, PMI, PEPFAR, Feed the Future, etc.
- Coordinate and share lessons learned from youth programming and promote utilization of that knowledge across different offices and bureaus, including strengthening training for staff on youth issues.
- Coordinate with other development donors with regard to youth development issues C. Support the field, through TDYs or virtual support, regarding youth health activities.
Other duties as assigned.
Qualification at the GS-14 equivalent Senior Youth and Reproductive Health Advisor level requires a Master’s degree and 9 years of relevant work experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Other qualifications include:
- Communicates well both verbally and in writing, creates accurate and punctual reports, delivers presentations, shares information and ideas with others, has good listening skills.
- Employee demonstrates compliance with safety regulations, rules of conduct, other applicable laws and regulations and company policies.
- Builds customer confidence, is committed to increasing customer satisfaction, sets achievable customer expectations, assumes responsibility for solving customer problems, ensures commitments to customers are met, solicits opinions and ideas from customers, responds to internal customers.
- Meets commitments, works independently, accepts accountability, handles change, sets personal standards, stays focused under pressure, meets attendance/punctuality requirements.
- Tackles problems and takes independent action, seeks out new responsibilities, acts on opportunities, generates new ideas, practices self-development.
- Has good listening skills, builds strong relationships, is flexible/open-minded, negotiates effectively, solicits performance feedback and handles constructive criticism.
- Understands duties and responsibilities, has necessary job knowledge, has necessary technical skills, understands company mission/values, keeps job knowledge current, is in command of critical issues.
- Employee demonstrates ability to exercise good judgment and make appropriate decisions as situations arise.
- Develops realistic plans, sets goals, aligns plans with company goals, plans for and manages resources, creates contingency plans, coordinates/cooperates with others.
- Breaks down problems into smaller components, understands underlying issues, can simplify and process complex issues, understands the difference between critical details and unimportant facts.
- Meets all team deadlines and responsibilities, listens to others and values opinions, helps team leader to meet goals, welcomes newcomers and promotes a team atmosphere.
- Applicants selected will be subject to a background investigation and must obtain and maintain a favorable adjudication as applicable to their position/duties.
In order to fully evaluate your eligibility, your resume must include relevant paid and non-paid experience showing dates held with month, year and hours worked per week for each position.