CRS is currently implementing WASH, livelihoods; and shelter and infrastructure projects- including school construction - in Bidibidi, Kiryandongo and Kyangwali Refugee Settlements in Uganda.This is a hands-on supervisory position responsible for the management of the complex contracting and oversight of school construction projects (four private-sector companies building a total of three schools), national staff mentoring, and supporting the roll out of a new approach to the construction of semi-permanent shelters for extremely vulnerable families. The incumbent in this role, based in Yumbe (northern Uganda), will support the final stages of the construction of 3 schools as well as the construction of over 400 semi-permanent mudbrick shelters with funding from UNHCR and Latter-day Saints Charities.
Basic Qualifications (BQs)
Education and Experience
* A Degree or similar professional qualification in an Engineering discipline including Architecture, Construction Management or a related technical field is mandatory.
* A minimum of five (5) years design and/or construction experience or similar context, including significant site supervision and contract management experience, plus experience in developing and implementing infrastructure or community infrastructure projects on behalf of development organizations.
* Excellent communication and negotiation skills.
* Ability to read, analyze and interpret administrative reports, technical procedures, or government regulations.
* Ability to draft report sections and effectively present information to partner and CRS staff.
* Flexibility to work both in a team and independently.
* Ability to work in partnership with local communities and NGOs as appropriate.
* Proficiency in Auto CAD, Microsoft Office suite, including Word, Excel and Outlook required.
* Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, with ability to make sound judgment and decisions and offer innovative solutions
* Strong relations management abilities. Ability to relate to people at all levels internally and externally. Strategic in how you approach each relationship.
* Good presentation and facilitation skills
* Proactive, resourceful, solutions-oriented and results-oriented
* Fluency in speaking, reading, and writing English is required.
10% travel from Yumbe to Kampala and Kyangwali, as needed for coordination and construction monitoring.
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Continuous Improvement & Innovation
* Builds Relationships
* Develops Talent
* Strategic Mindset
* Accountability & Stewardship
Directly supervises 2 national staff: Shelter Project Manager and School Construction Project Manager
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer. (For all US and International positions)
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
About the Organization
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS's Agriculture and Livelihoods team supports farming communities using our Pathway to Prosperity approach, which enables rural families to increase their productivity within sustainable landscapes, achieve a living income and build more resilient communities.