At CARE, we seek a world of hope, tolerance and social justice, where poverty has been overcome and people live with dignity and security.
This has been our vision since 1945, when we were founded to send lifesaving CARE Packages® to survivors of World War II. Today, CARE is a global leader in the movement to eradicate poverty. In 2016, CARE worked in 94 countries and reached 80 million people with an incredible range of life-saving programs. We also put women and girls at the center of our work because we know that we cannot overcome poverty until all people have equal rights and opportunities. We seek dynamic, innovative thinkers to further our mission. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us.
Job description: CARE is recruiting a Shelter and Site Management Advisor for its emergency operation (Refugee Response Program) in Cox’s Bazaar, Bangladesh. To lead design, coordination, management, and quality implementation of the Emergency Responses in Shelter and Site Management.
- Design Shelter/ Site Management response mechanisms based on the assessment/analysis of Shelter/ Site Management situations of households and communities, working with team members provide inputs for project proposals and compile regular action plans and quality program reports;
- Coordinate with relevant stakeholders and Shelter/ Site Management actors (UN agencies, Inter Sector Coordination Group, Shelter/ Site Management Cluster/Sector, Government agencies, INGOs, local and international partners), positioning CARE as key leading agency for the Shelter/ Site Management response;
- Provide technical assistance to the field staff and partners, designs and rolls out capacity building on Shelter/ Site Management and oversees the strategic management and successful program implementation ensuring program quality according to CARE standards and incorporating learnings into the programming cycle.
- Lead and management multi-million dollar budget with multiple donors
- Lead and provide management oversight for construction of mid-term and upgrade shelters in line with approved government and sector guideline
- Strategic and quality management of CARE’s Shelter and Site Management Response.
- Ensure coordination and positioning of CARE for Shelter/ Site Management sector.
- Design Shelter/ Site Management response mechanisms based on concrete analysis.
- Masters or Post Graduation Degree preferably in Civil Engineering, Humanitarian/Disaster Management. Additional training or diploma in relevant field.
- Technical experience in shelter construction especially in refugee context
- Minimum of 5 years humanitarian aid experience in complex and natural disasters.
- Experience in managing shelter programs in emergencies; familiarity with displacement sites including spontaneous and makeshift settlements is an added advantage.
- Distribution program management experience required.
- Strong project cycle management skills: assessments, design, implementation, monitoring, evaluation, and strategic planning skills.
- Experience of developing funding proposals.
- High level of all aspects of managerial experience, including managing multi-million dollar budgets.
- Experience in complex decision making and leading a multi-disciplinary, multi national team under difficult circumstances.
- The highest level of expertise in representation and negotiation with governments and donors.
- Strong understanding of the humanitarian emergency operating context, including Sphere, the humanitarian system, donors, security, civil military liaison and program management.
- Familiar with humanitarian programming and inter-agency coordination systems.
- Ability to communicate ideas in a culturally-sensitive manner and conducive to their practical application.
- Experience in budget development and management.
- Excellent interpersonal and staff management skills.
- Strong communication skills in both verbal and written English and Bangla.
- Computer skills on MS word, Excel, PowerPoint.
- Strong capacity to manage competing priorities and multiple grants.
About the Organization
CARE is a leading humanitarian organization fighting global poverty. We place special focus on working alongside poor women because, equipped with the proper resources, women have the power to help whole families and entire communities escape poverty. Women are at the heart of CARE's community-based efforts to improve basic education, prevent the spread of disease, increase access to clean water and sanitation, expand economic opportunity and protect natural resources. CARE also delivers emergency aid to survivors of war and natural disasters, and helps people rebuild their lives.
Our diversity is our strength; we encourage people from all backgrounds and experiences, particularly women, to apply.
CARE USA is an equal opportunity employer and gives consideration for employment to qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.
The closing date for this posting, if listed, is approximate. Job postings may be removed from CARE's career website at any time.