Pact is recruiting a short-term consultant to support the USAID Green Invest Asia project, a technical assistance facility working to catalyze private investment for sustainable agriculture and forest landscapes across Asia. By 2022, USAID Green Invest Asia aims to mobilize $400 million of private finance for sustainable production in agriculture and forestry that will reduce investment barriers and result in a reduction or sequestration of 25 million tons CO2e of greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions. We currently operate across Southeast Asia with an initial focus on Cambodia, Indonesia, the Philippines, and Vietnam.
USAID Green Invest Asia supports mid-growth agriculture and forestry companies with strategies, assessments and advice to improve their sustainable commodity production and business practices. In doing so, we ready companies for investment and help them access sustainable financing from banks, impact funds, climate funds and other institutions in our financial network. USAID Green Invest Asia facilitates a pipeline of partner businesses involved in commodities including timber (i.e. teak, acacia, eucalyptus, natural forest concessions), rubber, coconut, coffee, cacao, cinnamon, cashew, rice, biomass, and other commodities.
The purpose of this assignment is to provide technical support for the due diligence on a timber concession based in Indonesia. Due diligence looks at potential risks of a company, including environmental and social issues, and is a key activity prior to defining a scope of work with the partner company. For this assignment, the short-term consultant will work with the Senior AFOLU advisor and other USAID Green Invest Asia staff as appropriate.
- Understand the project and its due diligence needs and process, through conversation with the Senior AFOLU Advisor
- Review and summarize key documents provided by the company (in Bahasa Indonesia and English), with a focus on social, environmental, and other potential risks (prior to next step)
- Meet with Senior AFOLU Advisor in person to review findings of the document review (in Jakarta during the week of June 17-21 – dates to be confirmed)
- Help identify gaps in information and potential follow up questions for the company
- Participate in follow up discussions with the company and reviewing additional information as available
- Provide a short written summary (~3-5 pages) of key findings (in English)
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in forestry, natural resource management, or related field
- At least 5 years of experience in the forestry/land use sector in Indonesia
- Strong analytical skills
- Experience working directly with forest concessions on social and environmental safeguards in Indonesia preferred
- Fluency in Bahasa Indonesia – written and spoken
- Indonesia national
- Excellent written and spoken English language
HOW TO APPLY
Interested candidates (Indonesia nationals only) are invited to submit a cover letter and CV to Pact Thailand via firstname.lastname@example.org by 17.00 pm Bangkok time May 29, 2019.
Qualified applicants will also be entered into USAID Green Invest Asia’s roster of technical expertise for potential future assignments for due diligence or related work.
Pact is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.