Chemonics seeks a short-term security consultant (STSC) in Benghazi to provide additional capacity to the Libya Transition Initiative (LTI) security operation. The STSC will ensure that the LTI staff deploying to or based in Benghazi are provided an appropriate level of security management to their work. The STSC will address mobile security that focuses on LTI standard operating procedures, especially emergency action plans by vehicle and on foot, including movement planning cycles, route selection, safe havens and friendly forces on route, and evacuation. The STSC will also focus on static security that focuses on emergency action plans of the LTI workspace and housing, including office locations, residential accommodation, hotels used by project staff, any venue or location used on a regular basis by project staff, and any location that project staff visit or frequent on a regular or ad hoc basis. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Establish Benghazi-specific security protocols
- Provide training to LTI staff on security protocols
- Conduct in-depth assessments relating to security and crisis management
- Ensure that strong, sustainable risk management practice frameworks are in place
- Collaborate with the operations risk manager to ensure that the security protocols are sustainable with existing resources
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in security, crisis management, and research and analysis
- International third-country national
- Strong understanding of security situation in Libya; previous experience in Libya strongly preferred
- Experience in remote programming support and low visibility approaches to security platforms
- Ability to establish strong working relationships with project stakeholders
- Ability to develop relationships with security community, international community, local formal and informal power structures, and other local actors
- Experience managing other security personnel
- Ability to lead and inspire a multidisciplinary team under difficult and challenging circumstances
- Demonstrated ability to resolve conflicts and crises effectively
- Ability to work and travel in remote areas of Libya to oversee program implementation and provide technical expertise
- Excellent written and oral communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to provide pragmatic verbal risk assessments, including venue risk assessments that support the development of tactical plans for the conduct of secured movement
- Ability to provide strategic advice, guidance, and directives to ensure that the LTI field office establishes best practices in safety and security protocols
- Ability to gather and analyze information associated with physical, psychological, business, and operations risks
- Experience managing forward-planning risk implications and liaising with external agencies and groups to leverage resources and knowledge
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
- English fluency required; Arabic proficiency highly desired
Send electronic submissions to firstname.lastname@example.org
by April 4, 2013. Please include the name of the position in the subject line. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
In addition, please download and complete Chemonics’ equal employment opportunity self-identification form
and submit it separately to EEOselfidentify@chemonics.com
with only “Short-term security consultant - LTI”
in the subject line. If you prefer not to disclose your sex, race, or ethnicity, you may check “I do not wish to complete the information requested.” Thank you for completing the form and supporting our equal employment opportunity reporting requirements.
Chemonics is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, genetic information, age, membership in an employee organization, or other non-merit factors.