The Pragma Corporation, an international development firm headquartered in the Washington DC area with more than 40 years of development experience in 75 countries, is actively looking for a Short Term West Africa Fisheries Management Analyst to perform a short-term assignment under the USAID Management Support and Technical Assistance Services (MSTAS) Project which provides technical leadership and knowledge management support to USAID Africa Bureau’s Office of Sustainable Development (AFR/SD). This assignment is intended to assist the USAID Africa Bureau Biodiversity team to conduct a desk study to analyze the broad topic of regional fisheries in West Africa to identify specific opportunities for reforming the wild-caught fisheries sector towards sustainability.
The purpose of this desk study is to 1) present an overview of the West Africa regional fisheries management context, and 2) to identify geographies, specific fisheries, institutions, and/or other concrete areas with particular opportunity for supporting improvements in sustainable regional fisheries management. These will include a) fisheries or geographies under particular threat, b) leverage points where targeted investment could result in transformative change, and/or c) opportunities for regional institutions to gain influence.This section shall include concrete recommendations on areas of opportunity for reforming West African capture fisheries towards sustainability.
Work is expected to begin as soon as possible and will continue through September 30, 2018. The overall LOE is expected to be 25 days.
- Advanced degree in fisheries management, agriculture, marine biology, natural resource management or a related field
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in fisheries management; experience working for USAID is a plus.
- Ability to synthesize and prioritize large amounts of material, identify key drivers contributing to the lack of regional coordination, and potential leverage points for interventions.
- Minimum of five years of prior experience in Africa, preferably in West Africa.
- Fluent English speaker with high level of spoken and written English (ILR level 4).
- Demonstrated communication and interpersonal skills.
- Effective writing and organizational skills to prepare recommendations for specialists and non-specialists, write succinctly, and to produce documents quickly.
To apply, please send your updated resume/CV to email@example.com. Please include “West Africa Fisheries Management Analyst” on the email subject line.
About the Organization
The Pragma Corporation is an international development firm headquartered in the Washington DC area. With more than a quarter century of development experience worldwide, involving more than 600 projects, we provide expert technical and management consulting services to such donor organizations as the United States Agency for International Development, the Asian Development Bank and the World Bank. Our areas of specialization include Small and Medium Enterprise Development; Accounting Reform, Training, and Examination; Regulatory Reform and Business Environment Improvement; Agribusiness Development; Capital and Financial Market Development; WTO Accession; Customs Reform and Cross-Border Trade; and Regional Trade Promotion.