Australia Awards in Papua New Guinea is designed to promote knowledge, leadership and enduring ties between Australia and Papua New Guinea (PNG). It aims to build knowledge and skills to address PNG’s economic and development challenges through international scholarships to Australia and scholarships in PNG.
It offers the next generation of leaders in Papua New Guinea opportunities to acquire professional and technical knowledge and skills relevant to the priorities of the Government of PNG. The program ensures opportunities are provided for women, people with disabilities and people from remote locations. The program focuses on supporting alumni to use their skills, knowledge and networks to drive change and innovation.
Australia Awards in PNG includes three study options:
- Australia Award scholarships for Papua New Guineans to study primarily post graduate courses in Australia;
- Australia Awards Short Course Awards for Papua New Guineans to undertake short term study in Australia (referred to as Fellowships in PNG); and
- In-PNG scholarships for Papua New Guineans to study in PNG to meet critical workforce gaps and to contribute to strengthening local education institutions.
To deliver Australia Awards outcomes, there are five streams: Australia Awards Scholarships; PNG and Pacific Awards; Short Course Awards; Alumni Engagement and Secondary Education. Australia Awards in PNG is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government.
The Shortlisting Specialist will support the selection process for Intake 2022 In-PNG Scholarships, providing specific inputs that will contribute to the overall selection of awardees through a merit based and transparent process:
- Evaluate scholarship applicant’s responses for up to three stages of selection applications for study in PNG according to the given assessment framework;
- Participate in telephone interviews with shortlisted applicants;
- Reach agreement or consensus with another Shortlisting Specialist, to ensure assessment process is consistent
- Identify and report potential cases of fraud (such as plagiarism);
- Accurately record ratings on a prepopulated spreadsheet and provide concise evaluative comments on each applicant to substantiate rankings;
- Deliver recommended ranked lists of eligible applicants to the PNG and Pacific Awards Manager to allow for consolidated ranking; and
- Provide a concise process report, including proposals to improve the ranking exercise.
The Person (Selection Criteria)
- Postgraduate qualification from an internationally-recognised university
- Up to five years of relevant professional experience in the NGO, private or civil society
- Experience assessing tertiary education applications and applicants against set criteria
- Experience working in a developing country, preferably PNG
- Experience working with international students in a tertiary education setting (desirable)
- Knowledge of DFATs policies including those related to gender and disability (desirable)
Knowledge and Skills
- Sound judgment under tight deadlines, enabling evaluation of applicants and their potential to succeed in studies in Australia and contribute to development on completion
- Ability to work objectively and with neutrality
- Ability to work collaboratively
- Strong excel and data management skills
- Knowledge of the Australia Awards Scholarships program (desirable)
The position is classified as Discipline Category B Job Level 2 under the DFAT Adviser Remuneration Framework. To learn more, please visit https://www.dfat.gov.au/about-us/publications/Pages/adviser-remuneration-framework
How to Apply
To view a detailed position description and to apply, please visit https://intdev.tetratechasiapacific.com/careers and search for job number 498793. Please note that applications will only be accepted via the online application process on the Tetra Tech International Development Website.
For further enquiries, please contact us at IDEV.HRServices@tetratech.com and quote the job reference number 498793
Applications close: 5:00 pm (local PNG time) on Friday 12 March 2021
Australia Awards PNG is managed by Tetra Tech International Development, on behalf of the Australian Government
Tetra Tech International Development is an equal opportunity employer of choice and is committed to child protection.
About the Organization
Tetra Tech International Development has a 40-year history in successfully delivering international development projects on behalf of donors around the world, including the UK’s Department for International Development (DFID), Foreign Commonwealth Office (FCO), and the European Union (EU). Our people are focused on improving lives by working side by side with local partners to support stability, economic growth, and good governance.