POSITION TITLE: Consultant
GROUP: Clean Energy, Environment, and Water
UNIT: Policy, Markets, & Finance
REPORTS TO: Project Director
Winrock is seeking an individual consultant with expertise and experience providing technical assistance to smallholder farmers, farm organizations and local financial institutions in the coffee, cocoa and horticulture sectors. The consultant will support Winrock International to catalyze private investment in climate resilient cultivation. The individual should have experience working in either an agricultural company, agriculture agency, or financial institution that provides rural micro-credit, and should have a solid understanding of:
- The impacts of climate change on agricultural production;
- The issues and options associated with replacing conventional varieties with climate resilient varieties;
- The issues and options associated with providing and financing irrigation
- The design and operation of micro-credit programs in Indonesia,
- The issues and options associated with credit and microcredit in Indonesia’s agriculture sector.
- The agricultural and business issues faced by coffee, cocoa and horticulture growers, particularly smallholder growers, in Indonesia, and the factors that contribute to relatively higher or lower yields;
- The Indonesian coffee, cocoa and horticulture production business and supply chains;
- Develop, in coordination with coffee, cocoa and horticulture companies, farmer organizations, local financial institutions and Winrock International a credit and/or micro-credit program for: 1) Coffee and cocoa growers to help them purchase climate resilient coffee and cocoa varieties; 2) Horticulture growers to help them purchase solar irrigation and drip irrigation systems.
- Help develop training program for farmers on financial literacy
- Represent Winrock International and PIER with highest degree of professionalism
- Conduct appraisals and provide financial analysis
- Draft technical reports
- Support trainings and workshops
Other duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND BACKGROUND
Undergraduate degree; Advanced degree in business or agricultural science is preferred but not required
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge:
Must have experience in the agriculture sector in one of the following organizations:
- A farming company/plantation or firm involved in dealing or trading agricultural commodities;
- A consulting firm or NGO involved in assisting agricultural companies or farmers with business operations and credit;
- A local, private financial institution that provides credit and micro-credit to farmers or medium-scale farming companies/plantations.
It is also desirable that the candidate has knowledge of:
- Farmer organizations and coffee associations in Indonesia;
- The impact of climate change on agriculture generally, and coffee, cocoa and horticulture growing specifically.
- Candidates must be fluent in English and Bahasa.
About the Organization
Winrock International is a nonprofit organization that works with people in the United States and around the world to empower the disadvantaged, increase economic opportunity, and sustain natural resources. By linking local individuals and communities with new ideas and technology, Winrock is increasing long-term productivity, equity, and responsible resource management to benefit the poor and disadvantaged of the world.