Abt Associates seeks highly qualified candidates for a Social and Behavior Change Technical Leader position on the upcoming USAID-funded Feed the Future Bangladesh Nutrition Activity. This position will develop and oversee implementation of integrated Social and Behavior Change (SBC) strategies across the project’s three components.
The Bangladesh Nutrition Activity will focus on improved household dietary diversity and reduced childhood stunting, along with improved access and the adoption of improved sanitation practices. The activity interventions will be layered within a broad array of Feed the Future and health activities, building on and scaling up previously successful nutrition pilots.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- In close collaboration with agriculture, nutrition, women’s empowerment, and WASH staff, formulate SBC objectives and develop strategies for their achievement to improve nutrition-related behaviors across the agriculture and WASH sectors.
- Develop comprehensive communication tools and SBC campaign activities, using evidence-based theories and methodologies, in close collaboration with external stakeholders.
- Design community-level interventions that target caretakers of children, household and community decision makers, farmers, and community members at large to increase demand for nutritious, diverse and safe diets.
- Provide oversight of SBC activities implemented by local partners.
- Manage the work of any research firms, advertising agencies, public relations experts, production vendors, community mobilizers, and/or consultants hired by the project to assist with SBC. This includes building capacity of local implementing partners to implement quality and successful SBC work.
- Ensure that SBCC materials are pre-tested, proven effective, and used efficiently.
- Work with Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Manager to measure and document progress and impact of SBC activities.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s degree in Nutrition, Behavioral or Social Sciences, Development Communications, Media, Broadcasting, Public Health, or related field.
- Minimum of 8 years of experience implementing social and behavior change programs to achieve nutritional outcomes.
- Proven ability to set priorities, multi-task, and
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience.
Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
About the OrganizationAbt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development.
Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients.
Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion.
Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations.
Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas.
In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Bethesda, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com