Abt Associates is currently seeking a qualified Social Behavior Change Communications (SBCC) Specialist for the upcoming USAID Reproductive, Maternal, Newborn, Child and Adolescent Health and Nutrition (RMNCAHN) Continuum of Care Activity (CoC TA) in Zambia. The project’s goal is to improve the capacity of the public health system to sustainably deliver quality reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health and nutrition services (RMNCAH&N) across four provinces of Zambia. This activity is expected to provide high-impact, demand-driven technical assistance, coupled with targeted direct implementation, of reproductive maternal, newborn, child health and nutrition services. This activity will work through a whole district approach across four provinces in Zambia (Muchinga, Luapula, Southern and Eastern) with the potential to increase geographic scope in future years.
The SBCC Specialist will lead the development and implementation of behavioral strategy developments and social change approaches for the project. The SBCC Specialist will manage project social communications, increase public knowledge about RMNCAHN, and mobilize communities. Position is contingent upon contract award to Abt Associates.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Lead SBCC strategy development, resulting in one or more SBCC strategies that guide the behavior change approaches for the life of the project
- Ensure an evidence-based process for all SBCC activities by working with M&E team to oversee relevant formative research, concept and materials testing, routine monitoring, and evaluation, especially related to for reproductive, maternal, newborn, child, and adolescent health and nutrition
- Employ a variety of communication channels (including social, digital, and mass media, interpersonal and community-based) to change behaviors, shift social norms and attitudes about RMNCAHN services, reduce provider bias, and increase stakeholder support for RMNCAHN
- Manage vendors providing services for campaign development, media placement, campaign launch, etc., and ensure high caliber results and products
- Act as SBCC liaison for key counterparts and stakeholders, such as MOH and NGOs and CBOs that play a critical role in RMNCAH&N programming, service delivery, and promotion
- Provide oversight and management of the SBCC team, including quality assurance, direct supervision of SBCC staff, and guidance to other technical teams within the program
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- Master’s Degree in Public Health, Community Health, Communications, or a relevant Social Science field
- At least 6 years of experience in SBCC work in health, a significant proportion of which is related to RMNCAH&N
- Demonstrated expertise in managing large community participation projects
- Demonstrated leadership experience and ability to work with a minimum of direction and supervision
- Proven facilitation and training/teaching skills
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal communication and computer skills
- Verbal and written fluency in English
Submit your CV and cover letter to Zambia_Jobs@abtassoc.com. Be sure to include the job title in the email’s subject line. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com