Job DescriptionJob Summary:
The Social Mobilization and Community Engagement (SMCE) Coordinator is one of two key program coordination positions of FHI 360’s EVD response in Norther Eastern DRC. The position will oversee the implementation of the social mobilization and community engagement component of FHI 360’s response in strict adherence with the current SOPs around SMCE. The coordinator shall work hand and hand with the multiple tiers of traditional leadership; community health workers (CHWs), community leaders and other community based and government structures to ensure FHI 360’s response are accepted. Ensure FHI 360 is represented at all relevant pillar meetings and technical working groups. Lead and set up the SMCE team; monitoring and managing highly sensitive data and; maintaining up to date information on progresses and ensuring strong internal and external coordination. This position initially envisioned as a less than three month assignment with possibility of extension This duty station has been designated as high risk or extreme risk and poses a heightened risk or direct threat to personal safety. Applicants should research this location and the associated risks before submitting an application.
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
- Provides technical support in the development and dissemination of tools, materials, reports, papers, and intervention for research projects.
- Works closely with assigned team to ensure activities are implemented according to standard operating procedures (SOP’s).
- Ensure response is embedded in community-based structures by identifying and engaging with the multiple tiers of traditional community leadership structures, community health workers (CHWs) to promote acceptance of the response among the respective catchment community.
- Monitors and maintains protocols, instruments, data sets, manuals, training materials and reports.
- Responds to requests and inquiries from internal and external staff.
- Develops or writes technical briefs, reports, or other necessary materials to facilitate research, best practices, policies and procedures.
- Assists with the implementation of research studies by monitoring and documenting processes.
- Conducts analysis of program implementation to identify areas for improvement and propose appropriate technical strategy and guidelines.
- Prepares reports and papers summarizing project results.
- Delivers presentations at professional meetings and conferences.
- Ensures project implementation adheres to company strategy and remains technically sound.
- Maintain a strong relationship with the EOC, social protection arm of the government, UN & INGO stakeholders
- Handle any sensitive information relating to EVD affected families in adherence with FHI 360 and OFDA data safeguarding practices.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Working knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures with providing technical support for research studies.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills.
- Demonstrated proficiency with using Microsoft Office Suite required.
- Works on problems of diverse scope that require analysis or interpretation of various factors.
- Exercises judgment within selecting methods and techniques to determine appropriate action.
- Builds productive working relationships with internal and external staff.
- Decision may affect a work unit or area within a department.
- Bachelor’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Economics, Education, Environment, Health, Human Development, Information Science, International Development, Social Sciences or Related Field.
- Typically requires 5-8 years of managing data collection and technical assistance experience.
- Proficiency with database management software and on-line search tools required.
- Has sensitivity to cultural diversity and understanding of the political, contextual, and ethical issues in assigned areas.
- Articulate and professional and able to communicate in a clear, positive fashion with clients and staff.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak fluent English and French.
- Prior work experience in a non-governmental organization (NGO), government agency, or private company.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.