Save the Children is recruiting an experienced Social Welfare Systems Strengthening (SWSS) Advisor for an anticipated USAID/PEPFAR project providing support to orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) in Nigeria. The primary role of the Social Welfare Systems Strengthening Advisor is to provide technical leadership and assistance to OVC programming with emphasis on strengthening social service systems and building capacity of the social welfare workforce (formal and informal) in the target areas of Nigeria. As a member of technical leadership technical team, the Advisor will ensure technical excellence through contributions made to project implementation, delivery and monitoring and evaluation. S/he will support the implementation of learning agendas, tool development and relevant strategic initiatives. The Advisor will liaise closely with technical advisors from other sectors to ensure seamless quality programming. Finally, the Advisor will be responsible for sharing organizational know-how, information, and experiences in vulnerable children programming within and outside the organization, as well as incorporate a broad-based approach for the overall well-being of those impacted.
This position is contingent on donor approval and funding.
- Advise project staff on technical issues related to OVC programs such as financing of social services, strong coordination and referral mechanisms, social service workforce development, and service delivery with an emphasis on providing comprehensive support at the community and household level.
- Support program efforts by providing guidance and hands-on support in conducting assessments, advising on partnerships and strategies.
- Ensure the day-to-day implementation of the work plan activities in the work plan and provide input into the development, on-going management and maintenance of the work plan.
- Provide technical support to partners and government counterparts to implement social welfare system strengthening activities and to ensure that agreed targets are met.
- Support the monitoring and evaluation efforts of OVC projects by conducting on-site monitoring during field visits or participating in monitoring and evaluation team meetings.
- Support partners to strengthen community child protection structures across project communities, monitor protection needs, gaps and interventions in and around child protection issues.
- Support sub-partners to develop and implement case plans including reviews and evaluations.
- Advocate with the government and other stakeholders to take appropriate measures to remedy violations and address the protection concerns facing children in the communities as well as liaise with relevant line ministries and commissions in order to foster partnerships and encourage national interest and ownership in protection of children
- Collaborate with relevant international development, donor and research institutions through relationship building, information sharing, and representation.
- Facilitate, draft, and participate in the development of, and/or the timely completion/review of OVC technical reports, such as: monthly, quarterly, and/or annual reports and newsletters; strategic plans and work plans; and other ad hoc reports, as required.
- Stay abreast of state-of-the-art developments in quality and innovations related to OVC programming and social service system strengthening and share relevant information as appropriate.
- Advanced degree in social work and public health or related fields
- Minimum of seven years’ experience in international development either as a technical advisor or social services/health program manager, preferably in Nigeria
- Comprehensive knowledge of the social welfare context and health system in Nigeria, and preferably in the South South / South East.
- Experience working with and/or managing PEPFAR OVC projects preferred.
- Understanding of PEPFAR OVC programming priorities, strategies and monitoring and evaluation tools and systems.
- Technical expertise in principals, theories, concepts and techniques in the area of social service systems strengthening, including knowledge of and ability to integrate across related disciplines
- Knowledgeable of social service professionals and resources in Nigeria is an added advantage
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English (professional level).
- Willingness to travel regularly and in difficult circumstances.
- Leadership qualities and ability to create synergies where applicable.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work as part of a team.
- Excellent oral and written communication and presentation skills.
- Expert computer skills in Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook.
Qualified Nigerian nationals are strongly encouraged to apply.
About the Organization
Save the Children invests in childhood – every day, in times of crisis and for our future. In the United States and around the world, we are dedicated to ensuring every child has the best chance for success. Our pioneering programs give children a healthy start, the opportunity to learn and protection from harm. Our advocacy efforts provide a voice for children who cannot speak for themselves. As the leading expert on children, we inspire and achieve lasting impact for millions of the world's most vulnerable girls and boys. By transforming children's lives now, we change the course of their future and ours.
Save the Children is committed to conducting its programs in a manner that is safe for the children it serves and helping protect the children with whom Save the Children is in contact. As a humanitarian agency, Save the Children is obliged to create and maintain an environment that aims to prevent the sexual exploitation and abuse of children and promote the implementation of its child safeguarding policy. All representatives of Save the Children – employees, volunteers, interns, consultants, Board members and others who work with children on Save the Children’s behalf – are expected to conduct themselves in a manner consistent with this commitment and obligation.
Save the Children provides an attractive benefits package including competitive salaries, a matching retirement plan, health and welfare benefits, life insurance, an employee assistance program, generous time off and much more. We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. Save the Children complies with all applicable laws.