As a Specialist, Economic Opportunities you will work to advance the social and economic well-being of youth and adults around the world. In this role, you will contribute to project-based technical assistance by conducting field assessments and analyzing findings; co-designing practical project strategies and interventions; developing and implementing capacity building tools using an applied learning methodology; delivering interactive training; contributing to research and thought pieces; and conducting effective monitoring and evaluation activities. Critical to success in this role is your ability to draw upon your knowledge and prior experience to contribute to technical approaches and for peer-to-peer learning. Success in this role requires a passion for working directly with clients, a focus on quality, knowledge of advancing economic opportunities for individuals and communities, dedication to teamwork and peer-to-peer learning, and a knack for developing innovative solutions through hands-on application.
- Contribute to the design, and/or implement customized technical assistance approaches based on clients’ needs and Making Cents’ core services through Making Cents’ economic opportunities practice area (e.g. access to finance, workforce development, MSME growth, entrepreneurship, livelihoods development);
- Assist in creating and maintaining partnerships with project leaders, staff in the field, and at headquarters;
- Support project management by updating/reviewing budgets and expense tracking, progress trackers, workplans, and scopes of work for project-based technical assistance;
- Contribute to the development of processes, systems, approaches, and tools to capture and effectively communicate lessons learned and best practices from project activities;
- Support development of technical approaches for proposals that best suit the company’s capacity and strategic objectives;
- Contribute to communication material, such as learning products, reports, presentations, capability statements, website updates, briefing documents, and case studies; and
- Represent Making Cents to clients through presentations, speaking engagements, networking and client relationship development opportunities, as they arise.
- Bachelor’s Degree in a related field with six years’ relevant experience, or Master’s degree with a minimum of three years’ relevant experience
- Experience designing and delivering programs that include curricula, training, linkages, and other activities that enhance economic opportunities.
- Strong teamwork, problem-solving, communication, and multi-task management skills.
- Demonstrated MS Office skills, including experience with MS Word and Excel.
- Ability to work in the US without sponsorship.
Our ideal candidates are:
- Demonstrably interested in building economic opportunities for individuals and communities.
- Knowledgeable in access to finance (formal and informal) and entrepreneurship development.
- Highly adaptive to dynamic environments and cross-cultural teams.
- Comfortable working in a fast-paced environment.
- Detail-oriented, flexible, takes initiative, creative, and able to handle multiple concurrent tasks.
- Resourceful problem-solvers with the ability to take initiative to learn new skills.
- Able to work independently as well as part of a team.
- Fluent in English (reading, writing, speaking) and proficient in one or more foreign languages (French or Arabic preferred).
Telework until our Washington, DC office reopens; longer-term telework arrangement available. Ability and willingness to travel and work abroad in less developed countries. Up to 35% travel may be required (post-COVID).
About the Organization
Making Cents is a results-driven women-owned small business founded on the principles of social entrepreneurship. Since our founding in 1999, we have been fostering human potential and promoting economic opportunities for disadvantaged populations around the world. We have implemented more than 130 projects in over 60 countries to date and are a trusted partner to public- and private-sector clients who benefit from our expertise and broad industry exposure.
Making Cents International is an equal opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and does not discriminate in its selection and employment practices. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, disability, protected veteran status, genetic information, age, or other legally protected characteristics