Als Bundesunternehmen unterstützt die GIZ die Bundesregierung dabei, ihre Ziele in der internationalen Zusammenarbeit für nachhaltige Entwicklung zu erreichen.
The Global Fund to Fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria is a financing institution, providing support to countries in the response to the three diseases. Founded in 2002, the Global Fund is a partnership between governments, civil society, the private sector and people affected by the diseases. BACKUP Health is a global program commissioned by the German Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) and implemented by GIZ. Since 2002, the global health program has been assisting government and civil society partners with submitting applications and using Global Fund grants effectively, transparently and efficiently. Using Global Fund financing effectively for strengthening health systems is one of the intervention areas of the program. The Health Financing Specialist (m/f/d) will be seconded to the Secretariat of the Global Fund in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Take the lead in being the Health Financing team liaison on the P4H Network, working with technical partners in advancing the Universal Health Coverage and social health protection conversation, and translating it to country specific guidance and technical assistance wherever necessary
- Provide strategic advice to transitioning countries, particularly on financial sustainability, working closely with “Country Teams”. This would include, engagement in the Transition Assessments to working out specific transition plans and supporting their implementation
- In collaboration with other teams in the secretariat, provide strategic advice to a group of countries or a region with strategic information on health and disease financing contexts, assessment and monitoring of compliance with counterpart financing policies, leveraging of domestic resources (DRM) and innovative actions for financial sustainability of Global Fund supported programs. Contribute to capacity building and guides health financing negotiations. In addition, work with countries on implementing innovative financing models as and when necessary
- Participate in the Business Intelligence project, work with the Global Fund IT or external database experts to transform the existing health financing database into a next generation SQL based platform, thereby mainstreaming it to the Global Fund systems, with the ultimate aim to make this database publicly available and therefore contributing to the public good
- Contribute to the analysis on a variety of internal and external data to support strategic information requirements across the Secretariat; including monitoring of ‘key performance indicators’, corporate reports, strategic papers, briefings and analytic notes
- Share knowledge, best practices and lessons learned across countries, articulating ideas verbally and in writing in a clear and compelling way across audiences of varied levels
- Foster effective relationships and partnerships with country officials and partner agencies; and represent the Global Fund in financial sustainability and health expenditure tracking related forums or meetings
Essential: Advanced University Degree in health, economics or social sciences with strong quantitative skills. Desirable: Specialization in public health, finance, or health economics.
- At least 7-10 years relevant working experience
- Broad health systems experience in low and middle income countries
- Experience with health financing issues and innovations in low and middle income countries
- In-depth knowledge of the international health arena, and direct exposure to internationally funded health programs at the national and global levels
- Working experience with the Global Fund at country and/or partner levels
- Experience with German Development Cooperation
- Demonstrated experience in operational and / or analytic work on health system issues
- Significant experience of analysing large datasets, with sound understanding of key issues around availability and quality of health/disease financing data
- Excellent knowledge and skills in methodologies for tracking health expenditure, costing and budgeting
- Sound judgement with ability to provide high-quality advice and identify alternatives and options in planning and decision-making
- Ability to assess the quality and accuracy of financing data from diverse sources
- Superior skills in quantitative and qualitative analysis, strategic thinking, and results orientation
- Personal effectiveness and ability to translate technical and cross-country knowledge into practical applications and solutions
- Builds strong, mutually beneficial, partnerships based on trust with internal and external stakeholders
- Excellent oral communication and writing skills, comfortable and capable public speaker
- Flexibility and strong problem solving skills
- Ability to work in a team setting with people of diverse backgrounds and points of view
- Excellent knowledge of English and German, and preferably a working knowledge of following languages: Arabic, Chinese, French, Russian, and Spanish. Knowledge of other languages is an asset
Please understand that we can accept and process in principle only applications via our E-recruiting system. Following the confirmation of your successful application, kindly check your spam / junk mail folder on a regular basis, since some provider classify emails from our recruiting system as spam.
GIZ would like to increase the proportion of employees with disability, both in Germany and abroad. Applications from persons with disabilities are most welcome.
About the Organization
We create prospects for people and with people. As GIZ has an international mandate, we offer a multicultural working environment. We are committed service providers and dedicated professionals, even under difficult circumstances. We take pride in enabling our employees to develop their professional and personal skills. There are plenty of reasons to join our motivated team – ranging from the diverse challenges you will face on a daily basis in one of our 130 partner countries, to the broad scope you will have for shaping your work.