Requisition ID: req622
Job Title: Sr. Communications Officer, P&P
Employment Category: Regular
Location: USA-New York, NY - HQ
Job Overview/Job Summary
As a member of the Global Communications Department, the Senior Global Communications Officer is a critical role that will generate top-tier/ target media coverage, content and social media results.
He / She will be driving an external-facing communications strategy that puts IRC programs at the center and is focused on both humanitarian and consumer audiences, with the goal of raising the profile of the organization.
Working closely with Advocacy colleagues and P&P leadership, the Senior Communications Officer would also be responsible for driving IRC’s better aid agenda, highlight the most exciting updates from technical areas and examples of doing Better Aid.
* With the guidance of the Global Communications Director, lead cross-function, cross-audience efforts to drive the external communications strategy for priority programming areas, e.g., cash, early-childhood education, nutrition and jobs.
* Ensure alignment, message synergy, and activations with key internal stakeholders, including advocacy, that draw attention to the IRC’s better aid agenda, maximizing key moments and opportunities (UNGA, WB meetings, etc)
* Actively pitch and generate top tier media stories that will make a measurable contribution towards the globalcommunication targets and goals.
* Pitch and leverage IRC’s senior experts to highlight IRC’s though leadership around programing and the #betteraid agenda with media, at conferences and external speaking engagements.
* Work closely with Communications leadership to develop a narrative and plan - including audience-targeted key messaging - for select program areas. Sample tactics include: media outreach; announcements; content development; social media activation; events/ conferences, and, over time, partnerships.
* Partner with Digital Content and Communications to produce and coordinate digital content collection, distribution and measurement, working closely with digital communication technical specialists.
* Produce quarterly reports on coverage and communications results using industry standard metrics and bench-marking.
* Expand and nurture IRC’s communications network, with a lens on policy and humanitarian beats.
* Deploy excellent writing skills that deliver: killer pitches that land IRC-led features, high-level IRC messages for cross-organizational use, top tier landing op-eds, and talking points for spokespeople.
Key Working Relationships:
* Position Reports to: Director of Global Communications, Programs & Partnerships
* Position directly supervises: n/a
* Indirect Reporting: n/a
* Internal: Global communications colleagues, writers, content creators, advocacy and program teams.
* External: Work with journalists, media producers and editors, strategic influencers and communications colleagues from partner organizations
* Genuine excitement about the notion of highlighting our story within the humanitarian sector and beyond.
* 6+ years in external facing communications in the NGO or Cause-Marketing sectors
* Good understanding of humanitarian and development landscape
* A creative thinker who’s able to navigate complexity and ambiguity to get to the heart of and cultivate a great story.
* An experienced generalist who thinks about and drives Communications across channels, e.g., video, digital, social, internal and media.
* A strategist, planner and do-er, i.e., someone who has a proven track record of developing creative ideas and campaigns and drive implementation.
* Superior Communications “hard skills,” e.g., a terrific writer with a demonstrated ability to develop, pitch and secure feature coverage in top-tier media.
This position is based at the IRC’s headquarters in New York with some domestic and international travel expected.