Why Join IntraHealth?
IntraHealth International is a global health nonprofit that has worked for 40 years in over 100 countries. We improve the performance of health workers and strengthen the systems in which they work so that everyone everywhere has the health care they need to thrive.
IntraHealth’s programs generate long-term social and economic impact to keep communities around the world healthy, strong, and prosperous. And our dynamic staff are passionate about global health and committed to excellence.
Join us. The future of global health starts here.
SUMMARY OF ROLE
The Senior Business Development Manager provides leadership to IntraHealth’s strategic growth by supporting efforts to cultivate donors and secure funds for the organization’s global programs in maternal, newborn, and child health, HIV/AIDS, malaria, reproductive health and family planning, and other priority health areas. S/he does this by leading efforts to respond to business development opportunities, with an emphasis on growing IntraHealth’s portfolio of priority projects. This includes working highly collaboratively with US and country-based teams to guide achievement of business development goals. This position independently oversees and manages teams composed of staff, consultants, and external partners to develop proposals (ranging in value and complexity) in response to donor solicitations and requests that are aligned with organizational priorities. The position develops and maintains specialized knowledge of specific regions, countries, and technical areas of priority to the organization.
In developing proposals, s/he participates in project design, may contribute to writing key sections of proposals, and ensures all critical components of the proposal are successfully completed and the final proposal is submitted within deadline and to a high quality of standards. The position will also lead growth strategies for an assigned geographic region, in close collaboration with regional and country-based staff. S/he provides guidance and support for country office-based business development activities including, but not limited to, conducting capture trips, identifying local partner organizations, and engaging in strategic planning with country-based staff. S/he contributes to the larger strategic development of the Business Development Department and serves in a least one leadership role for the department. S/he represents the organization externally with international and local partners, as well as government and private donors.
This position reports to the Business Development Director and supervises the workload of the Business Development Manager, and/or Business Development Officer(s), and/or Business Development Specialist(s).
- Provides leadership in expanding IntraHealth’s portfolio in strategic program and technical areas and ensures alignment with IntraHealth’s core business.
- Leads proposal development teams, liaising with program, finance, communications, contracts, and country office staff to ensure high quality, proposals that are grounded in best practices, public health practice, and compliant with donor requirements and regulations.
- Conducts capture trips to determine feasibility of pursuing particular opportunities and engages with donors and potential partners and staff, when we have a local presence.
- Works highly collaboratively with staff (US-based and in-country offices) to develop and support country-level business development opportunities.
- Participates in and leads discussions with international and local non-governmental organizations to identify partnerships for proposals and future opportunities.
- Monitors and tracks business opportunities for priority countries and assesses organizational fit.
- Engages directly in the development of proposals, contributing to technical design and to the writing/strengthening of key sections.
- Recruits, interviews, and hires consultants to assist with business development, including preparing consultant scopes of work and monitoring deliverables.
- Leads debrief sessions with key members of proposal teams to identify and document lessons learned and best practices for future efforts.
- Makes recommendations and develops tools that improve Business Development processes.
- Remains current on latest funding trends, policies, and innovations for health that align with the organization’s current and expanding core business.
- Represents IntraHealth to an array of external clients and stakeholders, such as partner agencies, donors, consultants, and potential key personnel.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Masters Degree in Public Health or related field and 10 or more years of relevant professional experience in international development (project implementation or management or new business development) highly preferred (or a Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field of study and at least 14 years of related work experience.)
- At least 5 years supervisory and project management experience.
- Overseas experience required, previous residence in a developing country desirable
- A demonstrated record of accomplishment in attracting and sustaining public and private funding including grants and contracts from the US Agency for International Development (USAID)
- An understanding of funding trends and relationships within global health.
- Experience in the development of quality and winning proposals working with multiple partners and within tight deadlines.
- Ability to articulate IntraHealth’s capabilities to funding agencies and partners, and externally represent the organization
- Fluency in English required; French and/or Spanish strongly preferred
- Knowledge of logical frameworks or other project design concepts; previous project design experience strongly preferred.
- Advanced writing, editing, and negotiation skills.
- Ability to be flexible in a globally dynamic work environment.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally, not to exceed 20% of working days per year.
- Computer skills in Word, Excel, Power Point, Adobe, SharePoint.
- Relocation to our Chapel Hill, NC headquarters office
Working Conditions/Physical Requirements
- Minimum noise levels in an office environment
- Office environment requiring sitting at a desk most of the day, using hands to operate a computer and other office equipment
- Requires lifting of 0-10 lbs. occasionally or as needed
Summary of Benefits
IntraHealth International, Inc. is a great place to work and prides itself on its comprehensive benefits package. We offer competitive salaries and a dynamic inclusive work environment which supports health workers so they can improve the lives of people throughout the world.
IntraHealth International is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law, and requires affirmative action to ensure equality of opportunity in all aspects of employment. This is also to include inquiry about, disclosing, or discussing their compensation or the compensation of other applicants or employees.
To apply and learn more about IntraHealth Careers @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/careers
Learn more about “Who We Are” @: http://www.intrahealth.org/section/about-us1
About the OrganizationDedicated to strengthening health workers and the systems that support them, IntraHealth International has served the public health needs of developing countries for 30 years. We bring about positive change by harnessing the potential of technology, valuing the power of partnership, and maintaining a sharp focus on the health worker. To help close the gap in access to health care we have developed and share a depth of expertise in:
•Health workforce and systems strengthening
•Health worker training and performance
•Maternal, newborn and child health
•Family planning and reproductive health
•HIV/AIDS and tuberculosis prevention, treatment and care
•Malaria prevention and treatment
Founded in 1979 as the Intrah program at the University of North Carolina School of Medicine, IntraHealth incorporated as an independent nonprofit organization in 2003. We have worked in more than 75 countries throughout our history, and currently have programs in over 30 countries in Africa, the Americas, Asia, and Eurasia. Our work is funded by the US Agency for International Development (USAID), the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation, the David and Lucile Packard Foundation, the William and Flora Hewlett Foundation, Pfizer, Inc., the Tides Foundation, and by individual contributors.
IntraHealth’s main office is in Chapel Hill, North Carolina. We also have offices in Washington, DC, Armenia, Ethiopia, Guatemala, India, Kenya, Lesotho, Mali, Namibia, Rwanda, Senegal, South Africa, Southern Sudan, Swaziland, Tanzania, Uganda, and Zambia.