R4D’s Market Shaping practice area has deep experience in addressing market inefficiencies to dramatically expand access to affordable, high-quality essential commodities and services towards helping people lead healthier, more productive lives. R4D achieves this by aligning priorities and incentives of policymakers, procurers, financiers and manufacturers at the global- and country-levels to develop and execute solutions for underserved markets at scale. Previously designed market-shaping solutions by R4D have the potential to achieve over a billion dollars in savings and availability of high-quality products in health, including for HIV/AIDS, malaria, childhood pneumonia, maternal health, and neglected diseases prevention and treatment as well as for nutrition, education and sanitation.
R4D is seeking a highly motivated Senior Program Associate (SPA) to join the Market Shaping team based in Washington, DC. The SPA will work in close collaboration with other DC and internationally based team members to identify, create, and implement strategic approaches addressing critical market barriers to scaling up access to essential commodities and services in the health, nutrition and education sectors.
Responsibilities will encompass a range of tasks including, but not limited to:
- Conducting in-depth primary and secondary research and qualitative and quantitative analyses, including critical review of literature and interviews with global and in-country experts, to identify bottlenecks in public and private essential commodity markets in various low and middle-income countries
- Supporting the development of market interventions and strategies to inform decisions of governments, donors, manufacturers, and other stakeholders
- Developing presentations and deliverables to communicate key findings and policy recommendations from research and analyses both to internal and external audiences
- Engaging extensively and effectively with diverse stakeholders (e.g. government agencies, procurers, policymakers, healthcare providers, implementing partners, and private sector entities)
- Contributing to internal administrative projects critical to the development of a rapidly growing team and organization
This role requires strong qualitative and quantitative analytical skills as well as the ability to skillfully communicate, both verbally and in writing, with a variety of stakeholders including government officials, private sector, implementing partners, and donors. The ideal candidate will be a highly collaborative team player, and possess keen analytical and problem-solving skills with experience independently driving analysis. The candidate should be a strategic thinker who is able to handle ambiguity and thrive in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, and multicultural setting.
- BA in Business Administration, Public Health, Public Policy, International Development, or other related field of study
- Minimum three (3) years of relevant work experience, including within the private sector (OR an MA in related field of study plus 1 year of relevant work experience)
- Proven experience analyzing quantitative and qualitative data, and independently developing analytical products
- Ability to think and solve problems in a structured and logical manner
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, including a demonstrated ability to prepare compelling presentations and written reports
- Proven effectiveness working in a team-based environment and also independently working on complex work streams/projects
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to build relationships with a wide variety of stakeholders
- High level of proficiency in Microsoft Office, particularly Excel, Powerpoint, and Word
- Previous experience working in global health issues, commodity markets, rigorous analysis, and/or deliverable-heavy environments preferred
- Experience living or working abroad, particularly in low and middle-income countries desirable
- Pharmaceutical / healthcare industry experience is a plus
- Willingness to travel 5-10% internationally, per project need
How to Apply:
- To apply, please submit an application and upload your cover letter and resume by clicking here.
No telephone or email inquiries please.
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.