Tanager, an affiliate of ACDI/VOCA is an international nonprofit that connects smallholder producers and private businesses to co-create new ways of realizing life-changing economic and social opportunity. Our process builds on years of technical expertise, on-the-ground presence and public/private partnerships to unite economic growth with social innovation. together, we are ushering in an era of equitable market systems that combine profitability with the power to address urgent challenges in poverty, malnutrition and gender inequity. Tanager is headquartered in Washington, D.C., with national field staff in the countries we serve.
Tanager is seeking a D.C.-based Staff Accountant to assume primary responsibility for a broad range of accounting tasks such as processing payment requests and expense reports, GL account reconciliations, invoicing, payroll- related tasks and supporting accounting period close. The Staff Accountant is an integral part of a small and agile accounting team. This team member must work collaboratively in an organization that requires each team member to work on a variety of tasks, be proactive, complete deliverables in a timely manner and work independently. The Staff Accountant will report to the Accounting & Systems Director, while directly supporting and working with the Regional Accounting Manager to ensure operational accounting accuracy.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Collect and review HQ timesheets to ensure timely processing
- Post payroll based on reports from a third-party payroll processing firm
- Manage HQ-based advance accounts for staff and consultants
- Review and process travel and general expense reports
- Prepare payments requests for HQ-paid expenses
- Collect all HQ & Regional monthly corporate credit card statements and supporting documentation
- Compile audit-ready support documentation packages for all accounting transactions
- Upload support documentation packages onto SharePoint
- Prepare and post bank transfers
- Prepare bank reconciliation for HQ-based accounts
- Respond to staff inquiries related to project-specific transactions and financial reports
- Review and assist in updating corporate and project budgets, as requested
- Perform administrative duties including copying, filing, emailing, organizing, and other related activities
- Prepare, track, and reconcile all invoices to clients and follow up with appropriate parties
- Track and reconcile contracts and grants receivable accounts
- Support monthly close, including allocations and revenue recognition
- Update and distribute Project Status Reports to all Team Leaders and Project Managers, as needed
- Assist with corporate and project reporting and/or audits, as needed
Systems and Procedures
- Assist in rollout of new procedures, policies, and systems
- Other duties as assigned by the Accoutning and Systems Director
To succeed in this role an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. While the requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skills, and/or ability required; reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Minimum of three years’ experience working as a bookkeeping or accounting-related role
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; experience as a bookkeeper or accounting-related position may be substituted
- Ability to work with minimal supervision
- Excellence in prioritizing, multitasking, and working with competing deadlines
- Ability to successfully interact and work with all levels of the organization and client in a fast-paced environment
- Demonstrated attention to detail, critical thinking, and problem solving
- Knowledge of and experience with GAAP, IFRS, and nonprofit accounting
- Fluency in English required
- Ability and willingness to travel internationally is required
- Demonstrated proficiency with QuickBooks preferred
Please apply online at http://www.acdivoca.org/work-with-us/ or respond with résumé, cover letter and salary history to Attn: HR/SLD, 50 F Street NW, Suite 1000, Washington, D.C., 20001 or fax +1 202 469 6255. No phone calls please. Only finalists will be contacted. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply. Peace Corps, AmeriCorps, and other national service alumni are encouraged to apply. EOE/AA. VEVRAA Federal Contractor.
About the Organization
Since 1963 and in 146 countries, ACDI/VOCA has empowered people in developing and transitional nations to succeed in the global economy. Based in Washington, D.C., ACDI/VOCA is a nonprofit international development organization that delivers technical and management assistance in agribusiness, financial services, enterprise development, community development, and food security to promote broad-based economic growth and vibrant civil societies. ACDI/VOCA has approximately 50 projects in 30 countries and total revenues of approximately $174 million.