R4D is seeking a Staff Accountant to be responsible for day-to-day maintenance of the Accounts Payable functions within the R4D Finance Office along with other duties as outlined in this job description and as assigned by the Director of Finance.
This position is based in Washington DC and will report to the Director of Finance
Operational Functions in the Finance Department, Accounting Office
- Responsible for monitoring, managing, problem solving and improving performance within the accounts payable function in the Accounting Office.
- Works with R4D program staff to ensure the timely and accurate data entry of all payables reimbursements due to R4D, and enters the transactions into the R4D financial management system.
- Maintains the R4D Chart of Accounts, and manages the billing software database in Great Plains (GP).
- Responsible for cash management including preparing payroll reimbursements, ACH, wire and cash transfers according to R4D payment schedule and managers instructions.
- Maintains semi-monthly outgoing wire/ACH logs.
- Manages and oversees all processes for billing and collection compliance and system use. Posts monthly billing entries, and manages the billing/collection for all funding sources.
- Measures compliance with billing to pay sources according to billing schedules outlined in each contract for all services rendered by R4D.
- Performs monthly standard accounts payable journal entries.
- Maintains and manages the full Credit Card Administration of the corporate Visa card issued via Bank of America Merrill Lynch to include issuing new cards, maintaining user agreements and policy documents, and adjusting credit limits as applicable for specific international travel.
- Reconciles and manages all general ledger payables, and relevant expense accounts as assigned by manager
- Reconciles accounts payable sub-ledger to general ledger, and prepares monthly accounts payable aging reports.
- Performs monthly/quarterly and year-end payroll analysis (i.e. payroll reconciliation, 941’s, 1099s, etc.). Prepares year-end forms for the IRS Form 1099’s and control totals.
- Prepares and assists with other account reconciliations as requested by Senior Staff Accountant or Director.
- Maintains accounts payables in finance filling system.
- Assists with month-end and year-end close and annual audit.
- Bring inconsistencies and problems to the attention of the Senior Staff Accountant.
- Prepares tax schedules and applies basic knowledge of tax rules to assist in preparation of annual tax reports and returns, as well as annual audit.
- Assists with the implementation of controls, policies and procedures to support the growth and expansion of R4D.
- Concurrently performs multiple assignments, and maintains strict confidentiality in all aspects of client, staff and company information.
- Communicates with staff and contacts regarding accounts payable issues; and outside constituents with limited supervision.
- Serves as a “hands-on” resource for Finance staff on accounts payable and accounts receivable matters.
- Works cooperatively with Senior Staff Accountant and Finance Team to move the work of Finance and R4D forward.
Other duties as assigned by the Director of Finance
- Bachelor’s Degree in accounting, finance or business administration with three to five years of related experience.
- Three to five years progressive experience in a finance department.
- Prior accounting experience in a highly successful not-for-profit organization desirable. Individuals with for-profit background with a desire to apply their skills in the nonprofit arena are also encouraged to apply.
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Demonstrated expert level knowledge of word processing software (MS Word), spreadsheet software (MS Excel including pivot tables) required, Great Plains Dynamics and its ad-hoc reporting software (including Management Reporter).
- Prior experience completing bank and credit card reconciliations, preparing schedules and other materials for an annual audit, analyzing expense accounts; and preparing journal entries
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
- Ability to identify areas where processes could be improved and to recommend such improvements.
- Ability to manage difficult situations with tact and diplomacy, and multi-task in a fast-paced environment. Team player and fast learner who is comfortable working in an ever changing environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively; understand, identify and assess proper format and grammar usage for all official correspondence.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to provide support to and assist other staff members.
Results for Development is an EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled/Affirmative Action Employer committed to fostering and nurturing an energetic, collaborative and diverse workforce. R4D provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits.
About the Organization
Results for Development (R4D) is a leading non-profit global development partner. We collaborate with change agents around the world — government officials, civil society leaders and social innovators — to create strong systems that support healthy, educated people. We help our partners move from knowing their goal to knowing how to reach it. We combine global expertise in health, education and nutrition with analytic rigor, practical support for decision-making and implementation and access to peer problem-solving networks. Together with our partners, we build self-sustaining systems that serve everyone and deliver lasting results. Then we share what we learn so others can achieve results for development, too.