Location: Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso or Dakar, Senegal or Abidjan, Cote d’Ivoire
Land O’Lakes International Development is seeking expressions of interest for the position of Staple Crops Specialist for the anticipated Feed the Future West Africa Trade and Investment Activity. The goal of the project is to improve the production, business capacity, market linkages and ultimately increase trade within and outside of West Africa, for ECOWAS members. This position will be based in a West African country (Burkina Faso, Senegal or Cote d’Ivoire) with travel throughout the West Africa region. Candidates from both French and English speaking West African countries are welcome to express interest and provide their CV or resume.
Position Summary and Primary Responsibilities:
The Staple Crops Specialist will lead implementation of the staple crops activities of the project. He/she will work within a team of experts focused on staple crops trade and market expansion to strengthen inter-regional and international trade. Working within the larger Trade Hub project and in coordination with the Agriculture and Private Sector Component Lead, this position will coordinate and execute all program activities related to staple crops market systems from increasing farmer productivity to expanding local, regional, and international market opportunities.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Advanced degree (Master’s degree or PhD) in Agronomy, Trade, Agribusiness, Agriculture Economics, or other relevant degree.
- A minimum of seven years of experience in technical assessment, design and implementation of crops development projects in Africa.
- Experience in leading agricultural value chain and market system development interventions in a development organization.
- Fluent in spoken and written English or French (one or the other however both is preferred).
- Prior experience conducting staple crops production and market assessments, prioritization of interventions and project design for large-scale projects.
- Strong understanding of private sector-led approaches to staple crops market systems development, preferably in West Africa.
- Demonstrated experience in networking with donors, government officials and the private sector.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal skills and the ability to develop collaborative relationships, especially in a multi-component project with multiple implementation countries.
- Superior analytic, communication and interpersonal skills, including training and facilitation skills and demonstrated experience working with multidisciplinary and multicultural teams.
About the Organization
Land O'Lakes International Development is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit helping communities around the world build economies by strengthening agriculture from farm-to-folk, helping businesses grow, and linking farmers to markets. Since our start in 1981, we have been leveraging nearly 100 years of expertise in dairy, animal nutrition, crop inputs and agricultural insights from our close affiliate, Land O’Lakes, Inc., a farmer-owned agribusiness committed to fulfilling its purpose of feeding human progress.
Our team is made up of nearly 350 employees who are committed to market-led approaches, and passionate about collaborating locally to create lasting inclusive economic growth. By unlocking the potential of agriculture for the last 36 years, the lives of more than 3 million people have been transformed through nearly 300 programs in more than 80 countries.