Global Communities is seeking an mid-level consultant who will provide technical assistance and support to artisanal gold mining cooperatives identified as key collaborators under the CVCFG program, as well as support all start up activities that target upstream capacity building within the conflict-free gold supply chain. Project supported cooperatives are made up of artisanal miners, working officially designated artisanal mining zones (ZEAs). The Cooperative Strengthening and Mining Specialist will work in close collaboration with the CVCFG Cooperative Strengthening and Empowerment Expert and the Global Communities headquarters-based Cooperative Development Specialist who advises CVCFG cooperative strengthening project activities.
This is a temporary position based in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo. This position will report to the Cooperative Strengthening and Empowerment Expert.
Note: This position is not a guarantee of permanent employment with the project.
The Cooperative Strenghtening and Empowerment Specialist will support cooperative strengthening activities and mine selection activities in DRC during CVCFG start up. Specific responsibilities include:
* Work in close collaboration with the program Chief of Party and Cooperative Strengthening and Empowerment Expert to accomplish start up activity goals, objectives and targets
* With technical support from the Global Communities Headquarters-based Cooperative Development team, support baseline assessment of Cooperatives likely to be engaged under CVCFG via the Cooperative Performance Index (CPI);
* Make key written contributions to program reports including monthly performance reports, learning documents, quarterly blogs and USAID semi-annual reports.
* Contribute to weekly reports completed that highlight activities completed towards completing per the scope of work outlined above;
* Contribute to CPI baseline activity conducted with inputs obtained and shared;
* Attend weekly calls with Headquarters-based Chief of Party and/or Acting Chief of Party and headquarters-based Cooperative Development Specialist.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate effectively and develop relationships with communities and government officials;
* Basic understanding of the challenges and opportunities for small and medium enterprises (SME) who wish to access regional and international markets.
* Knowledge of precious minerals trade-related policies and activities a plus.
* Ability to provide capacity building and lead training on business strategy and business planning best practices, feasibility studies, and cooperative governance and membership roles and responsibilities.
* Knowledge of basic accounting a plus.
* Bachelor’s degree with 5 - 7 years of work experience or a master’s degree with at least 2- 3 years of work experience.
* At least 2 years of work experience in cooperative development and strengthening, SME development, and/or business consulting and strategic planning is desired;
* Understanding of ASM cooperatives business model in the DRC a plus;
* Excellent interpersonal skills; and
* Fluency in written and spoken French and Swahili.
* Proficient in written and spoken English
* Experience with USAID-funded programs desired, but not required;
About the Organization
The mission of Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
In December 2018, Global Communities and its multi-national consortium of partners were recently awarded the $12 million USAID/DRC-funded Commercially Viable, Conflict-Free Gold (CVCFG) program (2018-2023), to develop and deliver a program to establish a sustainable, conflict-free, artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) gold supply-chain originating in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Through this program, we will identify scalable models for successfully linking ASM cooperatives, traders and responsible gold exporters to key international markets.
The three primary objectives of the program include:
* Increasing demand for, and co-investment in conflict-free traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 1)
* Increasing exports of traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 2)
* Improving governance and business operations of ASM gold Cooperatives (Objective 3)