State Governance Director - Bauchi State
Communities in Transition Division
Position Location: Bauchi State, Nigeria
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic institutions and stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.
Project Duration: 5 years
Creative Associates seeks a Governance Director - Bauchi State for an anticipated Good Governance USAID-funded project in Nigeria. The Governance Director serves as the state director of all project programs, provides technical leadership, engages with state and local government leaders for monitoring and responding to opportunities for institutional reform; and manages the State Project Office staff and technical advisors. He/she will serve as a member of the project leadership team, working closely with counterparts in other states and facilitating knowledge transfer between state offices and with Nigerian federal officials.
Reporting & Supervision:
The State Governance Director - Bauchi reports to the Chief of Party.
- Assist state governments to develop strategic approaches for improving governance of state operations, including improvements in public financial management, improvements in service delivery, generation of internal funding and communication with citizens;
- Assist state governments in identifying and then providing a broad range of technical assistance and capacity development to achieve strategic governance objectives. Support state governments to facilitate public dialogue on governance and civic engagement between government and non-governmental actors through technical assistance to local civil society organizations;
- Monitor the progress of state governments in achieving agreed upon reforms and improvements in performance;
- Support the COP and the DCOP in the development of the project strategic framework and work plans for the program implementation to ensure the achievement of the program goals;
- Support state governments to facilitate interaction, collaboration, and collective action between diverse stakeholders and leverage stakeholder networks to develop strategies advocating citizen priorities;
- Support state government efforts to engage women, youth, and excluded groups in public and political dialogue, and electoral campaigns;
- Monitor and document all implementation activities, document successes, challenges, and lessons learned and share them with through regular program reports; and
- Deliver presentations on program objectives and achievements to implementing partners, civil society organizations, government officials, donor, and other organizations.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum Master’s degree in political science, public administration, public financial management, public policy, law, economics or a related field;
- Minimum eight (8) years of related Nigerian development experience in public policy and administration, community development, public financial management, or political analysis;
- Experience working in northern Nigeria, particularly in Bauchi state;
- Knowledge of state government reform efforts in Nigeria;
- Expertise in political economy and conflict assessment and mapping, managing complex partnerships and cross-cutting projects, and local, state, and national institutional building;
- Expertise in public service, good governance and/or accountability and oversight;
- Proven effectiveness in managing high-level government relations;
- Experience with civil society and government capacity building, and governance accountability;
- Strong experience with coalition building and collaboration with multiple stakeholders, including civil society, and government;
- Demonstrated leadership, management, strategic thinking, training, and human resources experience;
- Able to work effectively and professionally with high-level government officials, civil society organizations (CSOs), donor, project staff, and other beneficiaries;
- Demonstrated track record of developing, managing and working effectively in a teamwork environment;
- Experience with providing technical assistance, including organizing and conducting workshop and trainings; and
- Fluency in Hausa and proficiency in writing, reading and speaking English at a senior professional level.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Experience engaging women and marginalized groups to ensure their inclusion.
Local candidates strongly encouraged to apply.
This position is contingent upon donor funding.
Only finalists will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic and fast-growing professional services firm that specializes in international development in the areas of education, democratic transitions and stabilization in post-conflict environments. Based in Washington, DC, the firm has a field presence in 20 countries worldwide with a strong and diverse portfolio that includes global contracts with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) and other clients including the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Defense. The firm has earned a solid reputation among its clients and missions worldwide and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.