Org. Setting and Reporting
This position is located in the Statistical Data Management Unit, in the Statistics Division. The incumbent reports to the Head of Statistical Data Management Unit.
Under the direct supervision of the Head of Statistical Data Management Unit, and overall supervision of the Director, Statistics Division, the incumbent is required to perform the following functions:
• Compiles, processes and manipulates data sets derived from a variety of sources.
• Assembles and examines original statistical material to ensure accuracy, clarity, and validity; makes appropriate adjustments.
• Updates statistical series in established formats and recalculate related derived series to ensure coherence within and across statistical databases.
• Assists statistical analysis and visualization of the results for production of the Division’s online platform and analytical products.
• Maintains relevant computerized databases: metadata, classifications, related analytical and methodological documentation.
• Responds to internal/external requests on issues related to ESCAP statistical databases and related data products.
• Assists in liaising with United Nations system organizations to obtain necessary statistical and other relevant information.
• Prepares data sets upon request, responds to queries/requests and maintains/updates web pages.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
Education: High school diploma or equivalent is required.
Work Experience: A minimum of seven years of progressively responsible experience in statistics, finance, accounting or related area is required. Experience in working with statistical data using various spreadsheets and database techniques is desirable. Experience in using statistical software such as Stata or R for data management and analysis, and/or data visualization software is desirable.
Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
About the Organization
The mandate of the United Nations Economic and Social Commission for Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP) is to promote sustainable and inclusive development and regional connectivity in the Asian and Pacific region. ESCAP’s role as a regional development arm of the United Nations Secretariat is to support its membership with policy oriented research and analysis, normative support and technical assistance and capacity building, to respond to the development priorities and changing needs of the Asian and Pacific region.
Find us online at: www.unescap.org/jobs