Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is an emerging health system development organization that is in a major growth phase. Determined to transcend the status quo, ThinkWell was founded in 2011 to provide bold, creative, and practical solutions to help low- and middle-income countries achieve universal health coverage. While our core area of work is health financing, we take a “whole-of-systems” approach, specializing in five practice areas that intersect with health financing: governance, human resources for health, the private sector, public financial management, and research and evaluation.
At ThinkWell we believe that we have a story worth spreading. A story about innovation, pushing boundaries and changing the status quo, and that is why we are looking for a world-class Storyteller to help us tell it.
- Work across ThinkWell to research and write compelling stories about our work, it’s the impact (or lack thereof), and any other hook that can influence the global health agenda
- As our ‘in-house reporter’, lead the development of 2-3 investigative stories per year, using investigative journalistic techniques, to highlight key issues in global health
- Advance ThinkWell’s ability to tell our story and explain our work. Do this by creating a stronger connection to our mission and values in order to help stakeholders understand what we do, how we do it, and why we do it
- Translate our strategy and programs into powerful copy and stories that drive particular desired actions
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to coordinate and oversee the story collection, production and distribution process
- Provide direct support to ThinkWell’s CEO, and the leadership team to ensure the maximum impact of their communications—whether written, in the press, or in public speaking opportunities
- Repurpose stories across platforms and domains to ensure maximum exposure
Creativity, Passion, entrepreneurial spirit, and rejecting the status quo are just some of the traits that we look for at ThinkWell. We are committed to our organization’s mission, which is guided by our core values: always question, be exceptional, think big, empower others, influence the conversation and keep innovating.
The ideal candidate will also have the following:
- 5+ years of work experience, ideally with an understanding of, or exposure to, international development
- Stellar writing skills; understanding of news writing techniques, capacity for investigative journalism
- Interviewing skills; how to ask effective questions and develop rapport/trust with story subjects
- Understanding of story fundamentals (effective character, trajectory, hook, authenticity/details, and calls-to-action
- Keen sense of newsworthiness (what makes a story interesting from the audience’s perspective)
- Understanding of the effectiveness and appropriateness of story assets such as text, images, audio, video and how to combine them to tell a story
- Ability to design and maintain a story bank
- Expertise with online platforms: content management systems for web, e-newsletter services, and social media
- Experience using web analytics and social media monitoring/measurement tools
- Ability to incorporate and balance the objectives of all departments to oversee the production of strategic, compelling stories
- Ability to collaborate with internal and external partners to coordinate and oversee the story collection, production and distribution process
- Experience in creating strategic communications plans to meet organizational objectives
- Capacity to effectively enlist and engage leading thinkers and doers to support our work
- Eagerness to travel globally across the developing world (anticipated 10-20% travel)
- Working knowledge of intermediate- to advanced-level equipment (DSLR camera, video, audio recorder, microphones) and editing software