The Education Performance Improvement, Communications, and Knowledge (EPIC) project is a five-year program of support services managed by the Education Policy and Planning Division (EPP) in the E3 Office of Education (E3/ED). The project was designed to improve education sector impact, programming, measurement, management and performance by strengthening 1) organizational effectiveness; 2) professional development and training; 3) internal and external communications and outreach; and 4) knowledge management uptake and brokering. The project is framed within the overall goals of the USAID Education Strategy.
EPIC consists of support services in four key areas that will be implemented simultaneously:
- Performance improvement through organizational effectiveness
- Professional development and learning
- Knowledge management
- Engagement, communications, and partnership
USAID currently plays a lead role in coordinating the Mobiles for Education (mEd) Alliance. Over time, USAID will transition out of this role and shepherd the Alliance into either an independent entity or a dedicated initiative under an existing organization.
Through a review of existing documentation, staff interviews, and a broader market analysis, the consultant will make recommendations to USAID and the Alliance on how this can be best achieved. Key considerations include future Alliance funding, the business case and core competencies of the Alliance, ongoing commitments from current and future Alliance members, and how USAID ICT4E would continue to engage with Alliance activities.
This fall, the mEd Alliance Steering Committee will meet in Washington, D.C. ahead of the annual mEd Symposium. A key portion of this day-long meeting will be spent discussing sustainability planning for the Alliance. To support this, the consultant will work with the USAID Senior Education Technology Specialist to develop the agenda for this day. He/she will also co-facilitate the day. Following the meeting, the consultant will draft a sustainability plan for input from E3/ED leadership and the mEd Alliance members.
- Develop a detailed workplan within two weeks of the contract being instituted
- Review existing mEd sustainability planning docs
- Review existing USAID ICT4E strategic documents
- Develop a set of options and recommendations for potential governance structures and funding mechanisms to support a future mEd Alliance based on successful alliance models
- Coordinate with E3/ED staff to incorporate their input into the sustainability plan
- Coordinate with an mEd KM Specialist to understand plans for future mEd KM products
- Identify options for strategic activities for Alliance members
- Develop an agenda for the fall mEd Steering Committee meeting, including key reference documents
- Co-facilitate the mEd Steering Committee meeting
- Draft the sustainability plan and incorporate edits from stakeholders
- Identify options for how USAID engages with mEd activities
Additional activities may be assigned as the project proceeds through implementation and as activities are further clarified and defined with USAID E3/ED and the mEd Alliance.
- mEd Alliance Steering Committee Meeting Agenda
- mEd Alliance Steering Committee presentation materials adn reference documents
- Sustainability Plan
Specific deliverables will be determined as tasks are scoped and agreed on between TRG and the consultant.