AECOM International Development is seeking a Strategic Communications Director for the anticipated USAID West Africa regional trade program. The anticipated program will seek to increase global competitiveness and intra-regional trade, strengthened agriculture value chains, and improve food security in West Africa. The Strategic Communications Director acts as a key liaison among management, providing executive support on external strategic communications.
The Strategic Communications Director will be responsible for developing and managing the program’s communications strategy to broaden awareness of WATIH successes, results and impact, and target specific audiences. The Strategic Communications Director will employ new communications tools and channels designed to maximize the impact of the Program’s work, keep stakeholders informed by highlighting success stories and high profile events, and assist counterparts in developing and implementing their own strategic communications plans in order to more effectively build consensus among different stakeholders on improving outcomes in trade issues. In addition the Director will manage the communications team and any external communications firms.
The Director must be a strategic thinker who can quickly operationalize concepts and ideas and demonstrate natural learning agility and personal flexibility in a fast paced, change-oriented environment. The Director must be flexible, pragmatic, and able to think creatively to implement activities in a responsive manner. Additionally, the Director must be willing to travel throughout the region and carry out other tasks assigned by the COP, to ensure proper management of the contract. The Director will supervise a team based in different countries and must thus develop management, communications, and reporting systems to accommodate the regional structure.
Roles & Responsibility
- Develop and manage the program’s external and internal communication strategy including online and social media components
- Review and edit all external communications
- Develop innovative communication products
- Oversee program deliverables for reporting, including establishing reporting schedules and drafting reporting templates
- Design and oversee the implementation of a knowledge management strategy for the program
- Implement targeted communications strategies for the private sector, national governments, ECOWAS, UEMOA, and other regional audiences
- Apply new communications tools as appropriate
- Conduct interviews with key informants, such as counterparts, stakeholders, project technical staff, the Chief of Party, and the M&E team to generate new communications materials to tell the Trade Hub story through different channels
- Lead Trade Hub efforts to organize, promote, and participate in high profile public relations events
- Manage relationships with media
- 10 years of experience with Strategic Communications or related fields
- Proven experience contributing to the design and/or implementation of a (local or national) government strategic communications strategy
- A graduate degree in a relevant discipline such as public relations, communications, public policy, or journalism
- Experience with USAID and/or other development programs similar in scope or size in sub-Sahara Africa or similar context
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively in English, both verbally and in writing, and working knowledge of French
About the Organization
AECOM is a premier, fully integrated professional and technical services firm positioned to design, build, finance and operate infrastructure assets around the world for public- and private-sector clients. With nearly 100,000 employees — including architects, engineers, designers, planners, scientists and management and construction services professionals — serving clients in over 150 countries around the world, AECOM is ranked as the #1 engineering design firm by revenue in Engineering News-Record magazine’s annual industry rankings, and has been recognized by Fortune magazine as a World’s Most Admired Company. The firm is a leader in all of the key markets that it serves, including transportation, facilities, environmental, energy, oil and gas, water, high-rise buildings and government. AECOM provides a blend of global reach, local knowledge, innovation and technical excellence in delivering customized and creative solutions that meet the needs of clients’ projects. A Fortune 500 firm, AECOM companies, including URS Corporation and Hunt Construction Group, have annual revenue of approximately $19 billion. More information on AECOM and its services can be found at www.aecom.com.
AECOM’s Global Support Services (GSS) organization resides within AECOM’s Government business line and is comprised of three divisions — International Development, Operations and Mission Support, and Global Programs. GSS has the international presence, personnel networks and procurement infrastructure to deliver support for any mission, anywhere. We optimize the reliability, availability and sustainability of equipment, logistics systems and facilities for clients around the world. GSS supports the U.S. Government, non-U.S. Governments and industry clients with worldwide program management, planning, design, operations and maintenance, logistics, aviation services, security, international development, environmental and civil engineering and mission and intelligence support.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It's a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world's most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It's a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It's what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an equal opportunity employer and Minorities, Females, Veterans, and Disabled persons are encouraged to apply. For further information, please click here to view the EEO Is The Law poster.