EnCompass LLC is seeking a Strategic Communications Specialist to support the United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Designing Effective eVidence-based Engagement and Learning for Organizational Performance (DEVELOP) project.
The Strategic Communications Specialist will help grow the profile and visibility of USAID’s Center for Education and other internal Agency clients and external partners’ expertise and achievements by maintaining a robust and strategic online presence. The Strategic Communications Specialist will be a member of a collaborative communications and knowledge management team working under the direction of the DEVELOP Results Lead for Engagement, Learning, and Applied Knowledge
to develop relevant content (using multiple media) and events for websites and social media channels. Duties include helping project teams, subject-matter experts, and researchers communicate effectively. As needed, the position may support research and analytical tasks and reporting on issues related to social media analysis and positioning.
This is a full-time position, based at EnCompass headquarters in Rockville, MD. The Strategic Communications Specialist will be expected to work from client sites in the Washington, DC metro area as needed. Due to COVID-19, the position is expected to be fully remote through September 2021.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Collaborate with team members and clients to align outreach efforts with project goals, initiatives, messaging, and brand
- Curate and publish content for the Center for Education and other Agency clients’ website and social media channels:
- Maintain DEVELOP’s content calendar (editorial calendar), including global campaign days, major international conferences where Center for Education and project staff have a role
- Develop written and multimedia content for the web and social media platforms to support project activities
- Support clients at all levels to write and develop blogs, stories, social media, and other content related to their work and that of their projects (e.g., results, innovations, learning, and research)
- Create, or coordinate with visual design colleagues to create, engaging and content-rich visual assets (e.g., infographics, Twitter cards)
- Contribute to the maintenance of a fresh look and feel of Center for Education, and other Agency clients web assets
- Contribute to gathering and analysis of data from website and social media analytics, SEO, user behaviors, and other measures of audience growth, reach, and engagement
- Contribute to website maintenance, design/redesign, and troubleshooting, in collaboration with other team members and external web development consultants
- Support DEVELOP’s participation in major events (e.g., conferences, workshops, webinars, trainings) by drafting talking points, producing visual assets, and/or coordinating the provision of these and other services, including virtual production support
- Supervise staff or consultants, if/as needed
- Support implementation of a communications and knowledge management (CKM) strategy for the Center for Education.
- Support the development of professional development tools and tips that help to build the communication skills of project and USAID staff.
- Guide the creation of templates and layouts for various project communications products (print and digital) ensuring compliance with USAID branding and marking rules.
- Conduct storytelling and promotional interviews with project staff, USAID implementing partners and personnel at the Center for Education.
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a Bachelor’s degree and 5 years’ relevant experience (or Master’s degree and 4+ years’ experience). Degree in communications, journalism, international relations or related field preferred
Experience and Skills
- Proven project management skills and ability to manage multiple concurrent activities and collaborations across departments/teams
- Experience developing/implementing communications strategies and plans
- Strong writing and editing skills; demonstrated ability to write compelling stories, scripts, and/or social media content for international development audiences
- Experience creating, launching, and measuring the impact of social media campaigns, especially on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook
- Demonstrated proficiency in the following digital media software packages:
- Drupal for website and web content management; direct additional experience with HTML and CSS strongly preferred
- Hootsuite or similar programs for planning and measuring social media outreach
- Mailchimp, Constant Contact, Eventbrite, or similar email marketing programs
- Google Analytics
- Strong proficiency using Microsoft Office Suite, especially Word, PowerPoint, and Outlook required
- Working knowledge of Adobe Creative Suite (especially InDesign, Photoshop, Spark) and Canva preferred
- Experience producing/editing videos for YouTube and/or other platforms strongly preferred
- Familiarity with 508 compliance
- Attention to detail and strong time management skills
- Experience with digital storytelling preferred
- Ability to work both independently and in a highly collaborative team environment
- Ability to bring a Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion lens to all products
- Ability to bring a gender equality and social inclusion lens to all products
- Ability to work in an appreciative, strengths-based environment and to model that approach for others
- Working knowledge of a language other than English (e.g., Spanish or French) preferred
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.