The Strategic Finance Advisor reports to a Director in Bangladesh, and leads strategic financing for the project. This position is for an important donor-funded project in Bangladesh, where ThinkWell manages a social enterprise incubator undertaking the ambitious goal of transforming a network of primary health care clinics into a financially sustainable pro-poor social enterprise for quality and affordable health service provision. The Strategic Finance Advisor will be part of the social enterprise incubator team and will lead initiatives for innovative financing options and resource mobilization in order to diversify funding sources, improve financial protection for the poor, and improve financial sustainability of the social enterprise. S/he will work with different teams to develop and promote new funding sources and attract additional resources, which could include private investment, donor funding, debt financing, or government funding.
This role corresponds to a Technical Advisor at ThinkWell. The Advisor serves as a subject matter expert and leads implementation, for internal project teams as well as external partners (government ministries, private sector, development partners local entities, etc.). The Advisor is specialized in their technical area (health financing, health insurance, business strategy, public health, etc.) and leverages that expertise to support program design and execution. The Advisor provides technical leadership and is responsible for growing their portfolio and for ensuring high-quality technical project execution.
Position based in Dhaka, Bangladesh – open to Bangladeshi nationals only.
What you’ll do:
- In partnership with the social enterprise and Director, Social Enterprise Incubator, provide strategic direction and implement innovative, sustainable plans for resource mobilization and financing opportunities for the social enterprise.
- Lead strategic financing for the social enterprise; design health financing initiatives, attract investment options, develop partnerships in order to augment and diversify sources of financing for the social enterprise.
- Lead engagement with potential private sector, business, and corporate leaders to advocate for funds to support health service provision for the poor forming strategic partnerships.
- The Technical Advisor typically engages officials within government, healthcare organizations, donors, donor-funded projects, private sector investors etc. identifying and seeking new financing options for the social enterprise.
- Develop proposal, investment cases, business cases, etc. to access new funding and investment opportunities.
- Support Bangladesh Ministry of Health and Family Welfare and other ministries, as needed, for alternate financing options.
- Support the review, design and implementation of health financing mechanisms such as health insurance and financial protection options for the poor.
- Contribute to work plan implementation and reporting; coordinate across internal and external partners and lead their engagement in collaborative projects.
- Communicate with other ThinkWell technical advisors within Bangladesh and globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge.
- Ensure the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge in all activity’s design, implementation, and monitoring.
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Represent ThinkWell in work location, actively engage key stakeholders, cultivate new business partnerships and concepts.
- Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
- Prepare written articles, presentations and blogs. Present at conferences/participate in technical working groups on ThinkWell project-related technical innovations, priorities and results. Build ThinkWell reputation as a thought leader in the field.
- Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to build ThinkWell program division and reputation.Participate in company initiatives and teams to build intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization.
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ yrs experience or graduate degree (Masters) and 6+ years of experience, primarily in the health sector; degree in health economics, MBA, health financing, public health, or related field preferred.
- Relevant experience in strategic financing; health financing; business planning; development of investment case; management of diversified sources of capitalization, including debt; and, resource mobilization for business development.
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience.
- Substantive, relevant work experience in the specific area of technical expertise. (e.g., health financing or health policy expertise, public health research, ministries of health and finance experience, etc.). Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work.
- Recognized as a leader in the area of technical specialty; strong professional network in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- Full English fluency, second language a plus; strong English writing skills;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.