ThinkWell is an emerging health systems development organization that is currently in a major growth phase. While our core area of work is health financing, we take a broad approach to health systems that includes human resources for health, health information systems, private sector engagement, and research and evaluation. We are looking for a Strategic Financing Director to provide expert policy advice and technical assistance as part of the USAID Bangladesh Advancing Universal Health Care (AUHC) project.
This is a full-time position is based in the Bangladesh AUHC project offices in Dhaka, Bangladesh.
Within the AUHC project ThinkWell leads the incubator unit which provides strategic and technical support to the newly established Surjer Hashi (Smiling Sun) Network (SHN), a sustainable pro-poor social enterprise. The Strategic Financing Director is responsible for oversight of revenue generation and marketing for SHN and accountable for its financial success built on an innovative and iterative business model. The candidate will report directly to the Incubator Director and oversee the revenue generation advisor and marketing advisor. They will work with the different teams of the incubator to develop and promote new revenue streams and attract additional resources, which could include private investment, donor funding, debt financing, or government funding. Ultimately, the candidate will be responsible for managing the development and implementation a strategy so that the SHN is financially sustainable at scale.
- In partnership with the Incubator Director, provide leadership to the SHN business unit to enhance existing revenue streams and implement cost-recovery initiatives;
- Identify and develop revenue diversification opportunities through market and business analysis;
- Implement resource generation and mobilization plans to support capitalization and resource needs (including private investment, donor funding, debt financing, or government funding);
- Support development of marketing plans to increase client flow and achieve high access and coverage for the poor seeking healthcare services;
- Oversee marketing and revenue generation teams and inculcate innovative approaches throughout all aspects of the business, including revenue diversification, customer acquisition and strategic partnerships;
- Engage potential private sector, business, and corporate leaders to advocate for funds to support health service provision for the poor.
- Provide input for overall project landscape analysis, the creation of business plan and the management framework for SHN.
- Ensure the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge in all activity design, implementation, and monitoring to advance UHC in Bangladesh.
- Contribute to the project’s overall learning agenda
- Respond to ThinkWell Global Headquarters and donor to their queries at regular basis.
- Other duties as assigned by the Supervisor.
- The candidate will hold an advanced degree in business administration, marketing, law, finance, public health, or another relevant field;
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience, including developing financial transactions, working with innovative or complex financial instruments to leverage and attract resources (such as guarantee programs and capital markets), and overseeing a revenue and resource mobilization team for sales and business development;
- Experience in the leveraging of resources from the private and public sector;
- Experience in business development and revenue generation, such as management/strategic consulting, investment banking, private equity/venture capital, or strategic marketing.
- Experience working with ministries of health and finance and proven track record to knowledgably and effectively interact with both key actors;
- Experience working with donors, governments, or NGOs in international development finance or a related field.
- Experience of living and working in a low-income or lower-middle income country is highly desirable;
- Strong quantitative skills, proficiency in Stata or another statistics software is desirable;
- Fluent command of English;
- Willingness to travel is essential.
Skills and Competencies
- Comfortable working with a diverse range of donors, including the Bangladeshi government, international governments, private sector investors, and large businesses. They will understand how to leverage partnerships to advocate for bold, meaningful ideas within complex policy and regulatory environments to meet activity objectives and service delivery needs of Bangladeshi people. Ability to thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment;
- Creative technical approach that pushes boundaries with an understanding of how to navigate relationships and advocate for bold ideas that challenge conventional wisdom within complex environments;
- Strong skills in managing client expectations and delivering to meet client needs;
- Ability to represent ThinkWell convincingly and credibly;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to effectively collaborate with team members in a multi-cultural environment, and based in various locations;
- Ability to prepare high-quality technical reports, policy briefing materials and presentations;
- A combination of humility and confidence.
About the Organization
ThinkWell is a health systems development organization that is in a major growth phase. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space through navigating pathways that will lead to more effective use of public and private resources in the health sector and ultimately better health for all.