The Strategic Initiatives Advisor reports to a Director in Bangladesh, and leads design and implementation of strategic and business initiatives for the project. This position is for an important donor-funded project in Bangladesh, where ThinkWell manages a social enterprise incubator undertaking the ambitious goal of transforming a network of primary health care clinics into a financially sustainable pro-poor social enterprise for quality and affordable health service provision. The Strategic Initiatives Advisor will be part of the social enterprise incubator team and will lead innovative business initiatives for revenue generation and growth, in order improve financial sustainability of the social enterprise. S/he will work with different teams to develop and promote new revenue streams, partnerships, and validate new business ideas through market study, prototyping, testing and other innovative ways.
This role corresponds to a Technical Advisor at ThinkWell. The Advisor serves as a subject matter expert and leads implementation, for internal project teams as well as external partners (government ministries, private sector, development partners local entities, etc.). The Advisor is specialized in their technical area (business strategy) and leverages that expertise to support program design and execution. The Advisor provides technical leadership and is responsible for growing their portfolio and for ensuring high-quality technical project execution.
Position based in Dhaka, Bangladesh – open to Bangladeshi nationals only.
What you’ll do:
- In partnership with the social enterprise and Director, Social Enterprise Incubator, provide strategic direction and implement innovative, sustainable plans for revenue generation of the clinic network.
- Lead design and implementation of effective business initiatives and validate new business ideas through market study, prototyping, testing and other innovative ways.
- Develop business cases to improve revenue growth, as well as lead design and implementation of business initiatives.
- Lead ideation and concept development, leveraging existing work to grow the portfolio.
- Recommend, design and implement the nature and scope of present and future revenue lines by reviewing product, service and business specifications and requirements; appraising new product/ service ideas, packaging changes, pricing changes, etc.
- Assess market competition by comparing product, services, promotions to competitors’ activities. Scopes and prioritizes activities based on business and user impact.
- Work closely with system and design teams to deliver with quick time-to-market and optimal resources. Drives product and services launches including working with relevant teams, executives, and other product management team members
- The Technical Advisor engages and works closely with all team members, as well as the clinic network, management and partners.
- Contribute to work plan implementation and reporting; coordinate across internal and external partners and lead their engagement in collaborative projects.
- Communicate with other ThinkWell technical advisors within Bangladesh and globally to build, share, exchange and disseminate technical knowledge.
- Ensure the systematic use of scientific and technical knowledge in all activity’s design, implementation, and monitoring.
Organizational Leadership and Development
- Represent ThinkWell in work location, actively engage key stakeholders, cultivate new business partnerships and concepts.
- Build project portfolio in technical specialty area in collaboration with Design Lab, program managers and other firm and country leaders.
- Prepare written articles, presentations and blogs. Present at conferences/participate in technical working groups on ThinkWell project-related technical innovations, priorities and results. Build ThinkWell reputation as a thought leader in the field.
- Consult and coordinate with key stakeholders within government, donors, and other entities to build ThinkWell program division and reputation.
- Participate in company initiatives and teams to build intellectual and human capital in technical area of specialization.
ThinkWell core values are our fundamental organizational guiding principles. They define our corporate culture, influence our behavior at work and help us achieve our mission. Our values are:
Influence the conversation
Evolve by learning
ThinkWell core competencies are foundational skills and behaviors that align with our values and are expected of all employees.
An entrepreneurial, results-oriented ‘do-er’ with a willingness to take risk, think big and challenge conventional wisdom.
A change maker who reaches independent judgement with an open mind, influences the conversation, and seeks innovation.
Able to help create an empowering environment in which everyone feels free to take initiative, be accountable and fail intelligently (learn from mistakes).
A collaborative colleague who engages constructively with people from different cultures, orientations, and perspectives and maintains positive relations in a virtual world.
Principally motivated by a growth mindset, meaning the pursuit of knowledge, experience, and self-improvement. You always question and continuously learn.
Authentic, honest, direct, self-aware and open to giving and receiving feedback.
- BA/BS and 8+ yrs experience or graduate degree (Masters) and 6+ years of experience, primarily in the health sector; degree in health economics, MBA, health financing, public health, or related field preferred.
- Relevant experience in business planning; development of business case; design and protype business initiatives; and, revenue generation and growth for business development.
- New business development, proposal writing and fundraising experience.
- Substantive, relevant work experience in the specific area of technical expertise. (e.g., health financing or health policy expertise, public health research, ministries of health and finance experience, etc.). Adept at communicating technical information to non-technical audiences.
- A thoughtful systems thinker with grounded, pragmatic understanding of the complexities of our work.
- Recognized as a leader in the area of technical specialty; strong professional network in the field;
- Demonstrated ability to engage effectively with external strategic partners, donors, and stakeholders;
- Full English fluency, second language a plus; strong English writing skills;
- Outstanding cross-cultural communication skills, including the ability to relate respectfully with staff at all levels, ages, genders, nationalities and orientations as well as across work areas;
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 25%.
About the Organization
Do you believe that everyone deserves access to affordable, quality healthcare? Are you driven by creativity, bold ideas, and disruptive innovation? Are you inspired by exceptionally talented, diverse, impact-oriented colleagues? Do you thrive in a dynamic, high-growth, fast-paced environment? Most importantly, are you fed-up, even disgusted, with the status quo of foreign assistance in the health sector? Then consider a job with ThinkWell.
ThinkWell is a growing, flexible health systems organization, with both global influence and local grounding. Our focus is on driving transformation in the global health space by always questioning and disrupting conventional wisdom about what works or what can or cannot be done.