Position: Strategic Planning Consultant
Duty Station: Kabul. Afghanistan
Duration: Inputs are expected to take place during the period of 30 Working Days (6 working days per week). The start date would ideally be by the 1st August 2018.
Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We provide support to vulnerable groups living in fragile settings, as they cope with natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships, and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them. RI works in three regions; Asia, Africa and the Middle East, with Head Offices in Washington DC, Los Angeles and London.
ANHDO (the Afghanistan National Horticulture Development Organization) is a national Afghan registered NGO. ANHDO was registered with the Ministry of Economy in 2009 under registration number 1384. The organization is currently supported by the EU (European Union) and the AFD (French Agency for Development).
ANHDO is planning the future activities related to the Afghan Agriculture and needs to develop a strategic plan in line with the recent Afghanistan Agricultural policies.
Our vision is to achieve “a sustainable and profitable horticulture industry for a better life in Afghanistan”.
Enable horticulture stakeholders to improve the Afghan horticulture industry by providing technical services, upgrading capacities and promoting private–public coordination.
Our goals include the delivery of high impact on long-term sustainable horticulture with emphasize on the capacity building programs in Afghanistan.
The overall objective of this consultancy is to develop a three to five years Strategic Plan in line with the following documents NPPs (National Priority Program), SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals), ABC (Agribusiness Charter Program) and (NCAP) National Comprehensive Agricultural Priorities and ANHDO Bylaw.
Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant will include but not be limited to:
- Define with ANHDO’s Senior Management Team the desirable identified strategic objectives and key result areas in line with the NPPs (National Priority Program), SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals), ABC (Agribusiness Charter Program) and NCAP (National Comprehensive Agricultural Priorities) documents;
- Finalize stakeholder mapping, external environment;
- Through a consultative process and application of an appropriate tool of analysis, identify critical gaps, conduct SWOT analysis and define strategic opportunities for ANHDO;
- By compare with strategic opportunities. identify focus areas and develop strategic objectives and key result areas for the same;
- Revise the ANHDO’s institutional capacity, organizational set-up systems that is required to achieve the proposed strategic objectives;
- Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the plan period;
- Propose, present and discuss a Strategy Plan for achieving the strategic objectives and key results, in line with ANHDO’s vision and mission;
- Finalize the Strategic Plan and submit to ANHDO.
The Consultant will report directly to ANHDO Managing Director in agreement with Relief Country Director
Skills and Competencies
- A three to five years Strategic Plan including a Results and Resources Framework
- Proposal for implementing the assignment.
- Present the Strategic Plan in a dedicate workshop session with Stakeholders, Partners and Donors.
- At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of planning, public policy, development studies;
- Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
- Proven excellent communication and facilitation skills, including in multi-cultural settings;
- Minimum of 5-10 years of experience in strategic planning; experience in organizational and change management an advantage;
- Good knowledge of the transparency field; understanding of natural resource governance an advantage;
- Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with government and development partners;
- Fluency in English (written and spoken); fluency in Dari is an assets.
Due to the start date of the 1st August and the time taken to get a visa interviews will be ongoing with all appropriate candidates from the time of receipt.
Interview will be via Skype but may include a face to face interview.
The first appropriate candidate with whom we are able to agree Terms and Conditions will be awarded the contract.
We require a minimum of 3 supervisory references from previous work of a similar nature during the last 5 years.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence.
We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation
About the Organization
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty.
Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.